Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive, Ram +

• Please log in to reply

matt66666

matt66666

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi i have had my computer checked for malware etc and declearled clean but it still seems slow i run real time poker database programs like poker tracker and it crashes my machine i have 224mb of ram should i upgrade, also is there a way of testing the harddrive because it seems to run slow, i if i upgrade my HD is there i way to copy everything on to it so i dont have to reinstall everything etc etc

thank you for your time

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi matt66666!

Yes, you definitely need to upgrade your the amount of memory in your computer. I need a minimum of 512MB, but I would recommend you get at least 1GB. Your hard drive isn't slow, it just seems that way because you don't have enough memory. The way a computer works, is that items are read off the hard drive and thrown into memory. From the memory it goes to be processed by the CPU and whatever other part of the computer (GPU, network card, etc..) that it needs to go through. Then once it's done, it is rewritten back into memory with any changes that were made and then put back onto the hard drive. With your computer having so little memory, it is getting into a bottleneck at the memory since there isn't that much and things have to wait to be put into memory.

Fenor