Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just bought a new HD, need to install XP - Create a bootdisk?

• Please log in to reply

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Is the first thing I do before installing XP is create a boot disk? If so, how do I do that?

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Chainsaw23!

Do you have a Windows installation disk? If so, you really don't need an additional boot disk.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Hi Chainsaw23!

Do you have a Windows installation disk? If so, you really don't need an additional boot disk.

Yes Linda. I have the installation disk(s) right here. lol

I just remember a while back when I had an HD crash I needed a bootdisk to get this process started. Maybe that's because I used the same HD. I should've known better. :whistling:

Thanks. :blink:

Edited by Chainsaw23, 22 May 2007 - 01:51 PM.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok. I'm in trouble. I don't have the authentication code for this copy of XP.

Not to mention, I don't have the driver CD's.

Please help.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, you'll have to purchase a copy of XP with a license. There's no way around that.

Regarding the drivers: is your computer a brand or custom built? If a brand (like Dell or HP), you can find the drivers on the manufacuturer website. If it's custom, you'll probably be able to get the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer site.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Well, you'll have to purchase a copy of XP with a license. There's no way around that.

Regarding the drivers: is your computer a brand or custom built? If a brand (like Dell or HP), you can find the drivers on the manufacuturer website. If it's custom, you'll probably be able to get the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer site.

It's a Toshiba.

I have several XP CD's, but I installed the version that came w/ the computer I bought for somebody else. The COA is on that computer, but I won't be getting a hold of that anytime soon. I want this done tonight, I have another XP CD here with COA #. Should I reinstall, and if so, what are the steps I need to take in doing so?

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Can I do something as simple as right click on C: and select "format?"

Then reinstall the other XP CD I have the COA# for?

Edited by Chainsaw23, 22 May 2007 - 09:43 PM.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I am missing drivers. So I went to Toshiba's website, and found the model of my computer and a list of Drivers available.

I navigated over to Device Mgr and it yielded this.

Posted Image

Before that, I was missing sound, but I installed the red circled driver and the sound is back. :whistling:

Posted Image
Posted Image

My problem now, is I have no idea what the remaining devices are, aside from the obviously named ones, but I don't know what they match up with.

Can anybody help me with this?

Here is the link to the drivers for my notebook.

Thanks in advance.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Use the Filter by OS and Filter by category settings to download one of each of everything you need for your OS, save them each to their own folder (LAN, AUDIO, Manual) all under one big folder called Satellite A15-S129, then you have all of the drivers you need for your computer and OS. Burn to CD if you like - viola! Drivers CD for your computer...

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Use the Filter by OS and Filter by category settings to download one of each of everything you need for your OS, save them each to their own folder (LAN, AUDIO, Manual) all under one big folder called Satellite A15-S129, then you have all of the drivers you need for your computer and OS. Burn to CD if you like - viola! Drivers CD for your computer...

Woops! Missed that. :blink:

Good idea for the Driver CD. :whistling:

Advertisements

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Upon glancing at the drop down category list, I am still unsure of a few drivers needed.

The ones in bold aren't listed in the drop down box. :whistling:
  • Base System Device
  • Base System Device
  • Ethernet Controller
  • PCI Modem
  • Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
  • Video Controller
  • Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
Do I simply sort using the Category "DRIVER?" It yeilds some interesting results that are comparable to what I need. For instance, the same drivers for the Ethernet Controller and PCI Modem. Would the rest suffice to cover the remaining drivers not installed?

Edited by Chainsaw23, 23 May 2007 - 02:15 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Be sure to install the ChipSet driver - the USB controller is generally installed with the ChipSet. Once you get that installed, check Device Manager again and see what's still missing.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Still missing these. What else do I need for the Video?

Posted Image

What about my concern with not being able to locate the COA#? Like I said, I have several XP CD's. I tried to install XP Professional, instead of Home Ed. and the computer with the Prof. Ed. is not mine and I don't feel like tracking down the #.

Can I just right-click, format C: and then reinstall my Home Ed. since I have the COA# to this version?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

What about my concern with not being able to locate the COA#? Like I said, I have several XP CD's. I tried to install XP Professional, instead of Home Ed. and the computer with the Prof. Ed. is not mine and I don't feel like tracking down the #.

Can I just right-click, format C: and then reinstall my Home Ed. since I have the COA# to this version?

if you do not have the COA# for xp pro (which you say you don't since it's installed on another computer) y ou will either have to buy xp pro to get a COA and keep xp pro
or you're going to have to format the drive and install xp home with the disk you have..

question...is this version of XP home installed on any other computers?

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

question...is this version of XP home installed on any other computers?

No. It was, but no longer is. Will that present a problem?

I'm not repurchasing any XP software, I thought I'd just get that out there.