Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Just bought a new HD, need to install XP - Create a bootdisk?

• Please log in to reply

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Somebody please tell me which remaining driver I need to install from this site?

http://www.csd.toshi...;all_docs=false

Posted Image

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
06-03-2003 Display
Driver
Windows XP/2000 Display Driver for Intel Montara GML display adapters (v6.13.10.3514; 05-05-2003; 6.84M)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is this the one for your video controller?

If you have installed all the drivers listed under your OS (and notice the difference between XP and XP SP2), then you may have a third party video controller or usb device?

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

06-03-2003 Display
Driver
Windows XP/2000 Display Driver for Intel Montara GML display adapters (v6.13.10.3514; 05-05-2003; 6.84M)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is this the one for your video controller?

If you have installed all the drivers listed under your OS (and notice the difference between XP and XP SP2), then you may have a third party video controller or usb device?

Ok. You were spot on with that one.

The only one left is the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller driver.

Was I supposed to install ALL of those drivers for my OS? Or just the ones listed, which is what I've been doing?

Edited by Chainsaw23, 23 May 2007 - 09:07 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Something tells me that USB drivers are configured by XP, I remember trying to get all the drivers done for my mobo and under USB it just had a text note that said "XP SP2 will configure this for you". Are you using SP2?

If not, I strongly recommend that you do upgrade to SP2.

My guess is, though, that (putting SP2 issue aside for now) if you installed all of the driver programs, then perhaps the usb controller is tied in with one of the other drivers (don't ask me why!). How many were there in total for your OS? How many have you installed?

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Something tells me that USB drivers are configured by XP, I remember trying to get all the drivers done for my mobo and under USB it just had a text note that said "XP SP2 will configure this for you". Are you using SP2?

If not, I strongly recommend that you do upgrade to SP2.

My guess is, though, that (putting SP2 issue aside for now) if you installed all of the driver programs, then perhaps the usb controller is tied in with one of the other drivers (don't ask me why!). How many were there in total for your OS? How many have you installed?

Since I just formatted this drive, and I haven't registered this copy of XP (I may have to reinstall another copy I have the COA# for), I haven't installed SP2 yet. (Believe me, I know this is VERY CRUCIAL!! LOL SECURITY ISSUES!!)

As for the drivers in total for this machine, they listed 26. I installed 5 which took care of 7 of the 8 question mark drivers listed. The next step might be to install SP2 and see if it handles that driver, like it did in your case.

Thanks for the help. I'll post the results after I finish registering this copy of XP and upgrade to SP2.

:whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
since you don't have the COA for the xp y ou have installed you need to format the drive completely and reinstall a copy of XP that you actually own

you've stated that the XP pro you have on there ISN"T YOURS since it's installed elsewhere and you don't have the COA

if you DO own the version of XP home and have the COA and it's not installed on any other machines..you can use that

to format the drive:
To completely erase all data on the drive(s) using Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN)

Download

Readme.txt

Bootable CD version (ISO)
OR
Bootable Floppy/USB Version (EXE - self extracting setup)

Use

Bootable CD
  • Burn the DBAN ISO file to a CD.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)
Bootable Floppy/USB
  • Double click the DBAN EXE file that you just downloaded to execute it
  • Choose the drive that you would like to install DBAN on (A: for a Floppy or whatever letter is assigned to your chosen USB device)
  • Press Install
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN Floppy in the Floppy drive or your USB device attached to an open USB port.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the Floppy or USB device as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the Floppy or USB device in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the Floppy or USB device as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO LABEL YOUR DBAN DISK CLEARLY AS ACCIDENTAL USE WILL BE CATASTROPHIC!

then you would install XP home

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Yes, I do agree with dsenette. All of my advice is given assuming that you have a legitimate installation of Windows installed. Please follow this advice. Note that also, I will NOT help anyone with a cracked version, as the problems these can have are many-fold.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I appreciate the help, but you guys need to lighten up on the "cracked" accusation and the "I don't own" the software implication.

I bought the computer (which came with the software) and gave it to a family member when I got this laptop (which came with it's own software). I hope I don't need to delve into my person life's workings much further than that. The software is still on their computer, yes, and I now have the COA# regardless.

It's as simple as me not wanting the home edition, and that XP Pro sounds better for what I use this computer for, assisting me with things concerning work. I'd rather use software geared towards professionals that that of one for house mom's and children.

And what is all this stuff about formating the drive? Can I just right click, and format? That looks tedious, burning ISO files, etc.

Anyway, I hope to be avoiding that step. Please advise.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts

I bought the computer (which came with the software) and gave it to a family member when I got this laptop (which came with it's own software). I hope I don't need to delve into my person life's workings much further than that. The software is still on their computer, yes, and I now have the COA# regardless.

If the " software " is XP then that means they can use it and no one else can

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

If the " software " is XP then that means they can use it and no one else can

I ask you for your personal opinion, b/c I want XP Pro. Is it worth the effort to sort of do an "OS Swap?"

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check with Microsoft, but it should be that an OEM XP CD stays with the PC. A retail XP CD can be installed as required, though only to one PC at any one time

Does Microsoft Product Activation allow customers to install products on a laptop as well as on a PC?

Consumers should refer to the terms of the product's End User License Agreement. In some cases, the Microsoft EULA allows customers who are the primary user of Microsoft applications such as Office and Word to install one additional copy on their laptop computer for their exclusive use. This does not apply to product licenses acquired with the purchase of a PC. These OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be transferred to another PC. Windows XP can also only be installed on a single computer. Installation and subsequent activation on a different computer requires a new license.

Is there rechecking of the activation done after initial activation? Is there any secret data transfer to Microsoft?

The product does check itself from time to time to see if it is activated and if it is still on the same PC on which it was originally activated.

http://www.microsoft...vation_faq.mspx

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks Keith. Will return to this thread if I have driver issues still AFTER I've sorted all this out. A call into MS may be in order. :whistling:

It just seems easier at this point to install Home Ed. Ugh. :blink:

Edited by Chainsaw23, 25 May 2007 - 10:50 PM.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I now have WinXP fully registered & installed all updates leading up to and coming after SP2.

Problem? Yes. My computer still shows that I'm missing the USB Driver? What is going on here? I was hoping that either it was my USB flash drive, (which is not plugged in right now), or that SP2 would handle that driver as somebody had mentioned earlier in this thread.

Any suggestions? Is this something I need? Everything seems to be running fine. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you install anything through USB - Printer - Scanner?

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Can you install anything through USB - Printer - Scanner?

I haven't really tried. I don't have a printer/scanner here, and all printing I do is via wireless network.

:whistling: