Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Home Network Question. PLS HELP!

• Please log in to reply

JoKeR

JoKeR

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I'm trying to setup a wireless network with D-Link's DI-614+ and DWL-120+. I have a LAN cable going strait from my cable modem to my router's WAN port. My router is not hooked up to any computer. I have another comp upstairs that I'm trying to get hooked up to the net with a wireless adapter. I have checked my IPConfig in CMD and I've got my IP address, subnet mask and gateway all running good. I also pinged my router's IP in CMD, I've got all 4 packets send/received. So the adapter connects to the router and receives good signal. I have no idea why I can't get on the net. I've tried IE and Firefox with no luck. The PC is a WIN XP with SP2, has win firewall disabled (for the router connection to go through). I have tried using both static and dynamic IP’s. Any suggestions :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
first test....will this computer work with a cat5 cable to the router?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
whoops, read it a second time,

What about DNS info? Are you getting that?

ipconfig /all

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yes. And as I said the computer connects and gets an IP address. Right now I'm thinking maybe I just need to "tell" my comp how to connect to the net, but how? I have tried using IE’s Connections utility, but it didn’t help.

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yes, I've got my DNS "hsd1.co.comcast.net."

bmfpdbill

bmfpdbill

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is exactly what I've been wanting to do, but you guys are way beyond me.
JokeR, how about explaining how you got where you are to a network dummy?

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Bmfpdbill what is your problem? Is it the same as mine or do you just need info on how to get started?

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
!~*BUMP*~!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ahh, forgot about this thread....well, that is interesting. Things should be working.

Let's use a couple of windows tools to run a report

Start > Help and support > Networking and the Web > Fixing Networking and Web Problems

Under PICK A TASK > choose DIAGNOSING NETWORK CONFIG....

click SET SCANNING OPTIONS, check everything, then scan

report failures

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hello Gerry. I followed your instructions and after the scan these are the only two things that did not pass: WINS Servers and Network Clients. Also it says that my IE Web Proxy is not configured. Hope this is enough info to somehow fix this problem. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
blank or FAILED?

WINS Servers
Surprised it gave you anything here unless you are on a business network that uses WINS.

Network Clients
This is likely your problem

IE Web Proxy
Not really important unless you have a proxy server, which you would not at home.

Start > CONNECT O, choose SHOW ALL CONNECTIONS, right click your WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION, properties, what in the box that says

THIS CONNECTION USES THE FOLLOWING.....

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
OK here are the things that it shows in my properties: Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, QoS Packet Scheduler, TCP/IP Protocol.

JoKeR

JoKeR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
!~*BUMP*~!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dd not work -- WINS Servers and Network Clients

You didn't answer a question: blank or failed?