Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to purchase windows xp prof. service pack 2

• Please log in to reply

Robert0406

Robert0406

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,
I bought a computer from a friend a year or so back. I do not have the original disc for windows xp prof. service pack 2 that is installed on the computer. He is not being up front with me about where it is at. This makes me worry that the program is not legite. Can anyone tell me a good place to purchase a legitimate copy of this program? I want to do updates and keep my computer running strong. At this point I am not getting any error messages but I am pretty sure that the computer is not set to update automatically.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
To tell if your version is legit just go to the Windows Update site and install the Genuine Advantage Tool, and it will tell you if it is legit. If it's installed with the mfrs. disk it may be legit but it will not necessarily use the product key that is on the sticker of the machine. As far as buying a copy of XP make sure that it is a sealed copy that hasn't been used, otherwise you may not be able to validate it. If it has been fully updated it will likely be legitimate. Also you can download SP2 from the Microsoft website so you only need the XP disk, or can use one with SP1.

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
you can buy windows xp sp2 at best buy, staples or even wallmart or target. or if you wanna order it online I'd suggest newegg.com.

Robert0406

Robert0406

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you both for replying to my post. I did not realize that I could get a copy from a local retail store. I will be heading there today to pick one up. I have to much information on my system to risk loosing anything due to ignorance on my part. I have heard to many horror stories about system crashes because of pirated software.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
if you have a lot of information you can't loose be sure to back it up.