Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! Computer froze during installation of intel active monitor

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I double clicked on the install file of Intel Active Monitor and as soon as installation began my monitor went black. After about two minutes I manually turned off my computer and when I tried to turn it back on the fan started blowing hard and the power button light was orange.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz.

Please tell me how I can get my system back!

Thanks you.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It is highly unlikely that this was caused by that installation. I believe that this is because of the problem you are having with dust/heat. Again I recommend not attempting to use it until you get your heatsink cleaned.

Once you get it cleaned before booting back up remove the battery on the MOBO and put it back in. This will clear the CMOS. You will see a "checksum" error whenever you boot up. This is normal. You will have to set the date and time through the BIOS because it will be reset.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thanks Titan8990.

I finally figured out how to remove the case covering the fan and heat sink (and gave it a proper vacuuming/canned-air-blowing)...and now feel extremely silly. Turns out the darn thing has a hinge and can be lifted up (hope this helps someone out there who has a similar problem of getting to the fan on a Dell Dimension).

But the strange thing is, the computer came back to normal even before that. I agree that the installation of the software was probably a coincidence with the problem arising. edit: I just heard back from another user who had the same experience when installing Intel Active Monitor. If anyone reading this plans to install it, make double sure that your chipset is compatible with the software to avoid complete system failure.

For two tries the power would not come back on (fan at high speed, power light constant orange/amber, etc.). Then 15 minutes later: normal startup.

I'm starting to think something is up with either the processor, motherboard, or power supply (or any combination thereof) that doesn't have to do with dust.

I actually didn't have overheating problems to start with; I was cleaning the outside of the computer in the back when I looked through the grate and saw some dust on the fan. It wasn't slowing down or speeding up or anything before that. I just figured any dust at all is too much dust and tried to find out how to best clean it (hence my other post where you helped me).

Once I managed to actually get to the fan and see the whole heat sink, there wasn't actually that much dust as there appeared to be initially.

For now the system seems to be operating normally. I spoke with Dell technical support earlier, though, and they said to keep an eye on the situation and give them a call in case they need to come in and replace anything. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if anything does need to be replaced, it will happen while it's in warranty. :whistling:

Thanks again for your help and advice!

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 23 May 2007 - 11:04 AM.

ovenmit

ovenmit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

The exact same thing happened to my PC!

I have a Dell Dimension 9100, running Windows XP Home edition on Pentium D 3.0Ghz.
I decided to download and try and install intel active monitor to check out the heat generated by my system to debug some issues.

I have to admit I didn't consider compatibility with my chip (especially considering how dated it is getting now - my bad) I figured that it would detect some sort of incompatibility prior to install and warn me about it. But I was wrong.

Monitor goes black as soon as I double-click the file to install. Then the system does not even begin to boot up anymore.

Eventually after a short time the system decides it can boot up once again, however as soon as it loads the desktop the screen goes black and the system refuses to start up again.

In Safe-mode, everything will load ok, so you have access to your files if you need to back them up, or you can boot with another harddrive if you happen to have an emergency backup (like I do).

I fixed this particular problem by hitting F8 when the system finally started and selecting to load Windows with the last configuration setting that worked.
Thank god that worked, I was getting ready to reformat my drive! :)

Hope this helps out anyone else that hits the same problems.
Thanks

cover

cover

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I double clicked on the install file of Intel Active Monitor and as soon as installation began my monitor went black. After about two minutes I manually turned off my computer and when I tried to turn it back on the fan started blowing hard and the power button light was orange.

I have a Dell Dimension 8400 with Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz.

Please tell me how I can get my system back!

Thanks you.

My problem EXACTLY - you and I even have the same machine. This program (Intel Active Monitor) is a piece of $... and should be removed from circulation. As I read it prior to download, I assumed since I had an Intel processor, I'd be good to go. Not so and it's not easy to get rid of. It doesn't show as an installed program that I can uninstall, I've deleted the downloaded file, it doesn't show in my list of installed programs ('start', 'programs', etc), and booting to another user doesn't help - still goes black. Unplugging your box for 15 seconds allows it to boot again and in safemode, everything seems good but I can't find this program (though I'm certain with 100% certainty that it is indeed this program - it's the one I was installing before my computer world faded to black).

cover

cover

• Pip
  • 2 posts

It is highly unlikely that this was caused by that installation. I believe that this is because of the problem you are having with dust/heat. Again I recommend not attempting to use it until you get your heatsink cleaned.

Once you get it cleaned before booting back up remove the battery on the MOBO and put it back in. This will clear the CMOS. You will see a "checksum" error whenever you boot up. This is normal. You will have to set the date and time through the BIOS because it will be reset.

GUARANTEED that CelestialTeardrop knows what he's talking about. The EXACT SAME THING happened to me and I have the exact same computer he has.