Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Won't boot

• Please log in to reply

Grantax

Grantax

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
My computer stopped working, I kept getting a blue screen when trying to install windows, and 1 time I didn't get the blue screen, but when I restarted the pc again it was back, anyway, I changed the motherboard because I thought that might be causing it, but when starting the "new" pc, it just stops after listing the PCI Devices, but I have a harddrive and a CD-ROM connected, which I set up in the BIOS as boot devices.
One time, it randomly almost booted (I got to a new 'window', where I could select one of the two boot devices, I selected the CD-ROM (which had a windows cd in it)), but the screen went black, and I waited about 30 seconds, but nothing happened (I restarted but it was back to normal (no boot) again).

How do I fix this?

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well you could start by disconnecting everything except one stick of memory and the video.... then slowly add things back in again until it doesn't work again then you should have found your problem.... to be sure add things back in a different order and see if it stops on the same device..... if not it maybe a case of not enough/clean enough power.

Grantax

Grantax

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
First I removed both the harddrive and the CD-ROM, and I got and error (something like "Disk boot failure"), then I decided to connect only the CD-ROM again, and it booted, but I need something to install the OS on. :whistling:

Any idea why it won't boot with the harddrive?

Edit: I tried with another harddrive (SCSI, the other one was IDE), and so far it's working.
Aaaand... yes! The error I was experiencing with the other motherboard is gone, looks like it wasn't a waste of time changing the motherboard, and the IDE harddrive isn't important, I had a extra SCSI drive here anyway, but if you know why it wasn't working, I'd like to know it.

Thanks.

Edited by Grantax, 22 May 2007 - 01:04 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Glad you got it sorted... either the jumper settings for that ide drive were wrong, the cable was bad or that hard drive was bad....