Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running as administrator

• Please log in to reply

strich

strich

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I picked up a new Dell a few months ago with Vista on it and have had some ups and downs with the new OS.

But the biggest ongoing problem I'm having is with Trend Micro Internet Security 14. I've contacted Trend Micro about it and Dell as well and neither seem to really 'get it'. Now I'm no genius, but common sense seems to be avoiding TM and Dell's outsourced helpdesks.

I'm going to assume that you guys are aware of the 'run as administrator' option to make some programs run correctly in Vista, but what do you do in a case (like Internet Security) where the program executable is constantly being updated?

IS14 constantly checks for new updates and once it finds them, it downloads the patch and updates the proggy. 99% of the time, it has to reboot the pc for the changes to take effect. This has been a sore point for me as i get the 'reboot' prompt at all times of the day and the prompt will regularly kick me from most apps to display the prompt. This is particularly frustrating in full-screen games. But the problem i'm encountering is that once the patch has been applied after a reboot, the next time it finds an update, it's actually the same as previous update, b/c the recent, newest patch was not run as administrator. So basically, it continues to download the same exact patch but never applies it b/c the exe wasn't run as an administrator.

Am i making sense? And i may just be missing something (like that the exe isn't being updated), but how do i account for the exact same patch (and size) constantly being downloaded but never appearing to be applied? And is it common for these programs to be updated multiple times a day?

And in an off-topic question, where's a good site to find Vista compatable drivers for video cards that are approved and work?

thanks so much,
Strich

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I am not sure what they have told you, but TM IS 14 is the same as TM Internet Security 2006. Internet Security 2007 is officially certified vista compatable.

Found this document: http://esupport.tren...ntID=EN-1034344

I would follow the steps listed in the above document for the 2005/2006 versions, as this matches your version.

strich

strich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Starjax, I appreciate the quick response.

If i've got other Vista related questions, is it best to start new posts for each question, or may i continue in this post?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
If related, stick to this post. If they are new questions please start a new topic.

Thanks,

strich

strich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Will do. Look for new posts then! :whistling:

strich

strich

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
As it turns out, i'd already upgraded to the version it suggested. I attempted to run the upgrade application and i kept getting an error that it didn't find Internet Security on my drive. Seems odd, but it wasn't working. So instead of messing with that any longer, i grabbed a copy of the new AVG Internet Security that has a built in firewall, virus protection, anti-spam and anti-spyware. I had good experience with AVG Free in the past when i was running XP and it wasn't nearly as intrusive as Trend Micro is. So far, so good.