Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create an account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign In Create Account

How do I delete a mapped network drive?

• Please log in to reply

Rav

Rav

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi guys

Back in the old days, before USB keys, I created (or got my techie friend to!) a mapped network drive on my PC running Win XP so as to access the hard drive on my laptop running Win Me. This was to transfer files between the two computers, etc.

Now, I just use USB keys. The irritating "problem" I have is that when I plug a USB key into my PC it come up in My Computer under the disconnected network drive (G:). I can re-assign the letter of the drive to, say, H:, but this is only a temporary fix as the next time the computer is booted up and the USB key is plugged in the problem re-occurs. Note that my PC and laptop are no longer connected by cross-over cable - in fact, I now use the ethernet connection on my PC to connect to my wireless router.

Hence, my question: how do I permanently delete the mapped network drive? That is, DELETE the mapped drive, as it is already disconnected and yet the problem occurs. I have tried using "net use G: / delete" at the command prompt but this has not worked.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Similar Topics: How do I delete a mapped network drive?     x

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Rav!

Open MY COMPUTER and click on TOOLS-->DISCONNECT NETWORK DRIVE. In the new window that appears, locate the drive in question and disconnect it. Of course do this with the USB Key not in your computer.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 22 May 2007 - 11:33 AM.

Rav

Rav

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Fenor

Thanks for your reply!

Firstly, my PC (the computer with the issue) runs Win XP, not Me. I have tried to update my profile on Geeks to Go Personal Profile to reflect this but after clicking Amend Profile, the changes are not saved for some reason.

I have already tried doing as you said regarding disconnecting the drive. As I said in my initial post the drive is already disconnected, and yet I have this problem with the USB key coming up as the disconnected drive when plugged in. I can access files on the USB key OK though. It's just that I would prefer the USB key to come up under Devices with Removeable Storage NOT under Network Drives and a disconnected map drive. I know this problem probably would not have arisen if I had assigned the mapped drive the letter "Z" in the first place, as is normally done.

I need to DELETE...I repeat DELETE..the drive completely so it does not show up at all under My Computer. Look forward to further help!

Thanks again!

Rav

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I have already tried doing as you said regarding disconnecting the drive. As I said in my initial post the drive is already disconnected

This is NOT the same thing. A network drive can still be mapped but show up disconnected if it can't find the target which it is mapped to. Doing what I said above will REMOVE the drive in question. When you go to DISCONNECT NETWORK DRIVE as I requested before, that is where the drive is removed.

Fenor

Rav

Rav

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Prior to my last reply to you, I had tried as you said and I think I still saw the disconnected drive appear under My Computer. Anyway, after replying to you I went for a re-boot and the disconnected drive had disappeared from My Computer and my USB key is now coming up correctly under Devices with Removable Storage as G:!!

I guess you cracked it!! Must eat humble pie!

Thanks, Fenor!

Rav

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad I could help! :whistling:

Fenor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On: