Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Older laptop, running Windows ME, it's a nightmare, format & i

• Please log in to reply

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
So I have this other laptop, an old Dell Inspiron circa 1999. ME is complete and utter garbage. I hate it. It's rendered this laptop useless since day one. Amazing, I know. But aside from this workstation (which isn't available to me often), and my other laptop that crashed, this is all I have in the time being.

I have some old NT software, and thought to myself, let's get back to basics. Format the sucker and start from the beginning with something that runs smoothly.

Any recommendations, opinions? If so, please advise, and also please post some simple step by step instructions what needs to be done before installation. I don't know how to manage this kind of thing very well.

Much appreciated.

:whistling:

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you plan on using the laptop, then you do not want NT. NT is more for specific work related programs/ jobs. There are very few drivers, and NO USB support.
I would suggest XP

But the laptop may not be up to speed for XP

Edited by 123Runner, 22 May 2007 - 03:17 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Your best bet will probably be a form a linux. There are many flavors that have lower requirements and will run well on a older computer. The best part is its free.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have at least 256mb of memory you might want to try the version of Linux in my sig. It will make a good replacement for ME or 98 which MS no longer supports. If you have less memory there is a lighter version of it called MiniMe.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

If you have at least 256mb of memory you might want to try the version of Linux in my sig. It will make a good replacement for ME or 98 which MS no longer supports. If you have less memory there is a lighter version of it called MiniMe.

I don't know. Am I ready for the big time? Is there sufficient help on this forum, I will need it.

Can anybody recommend a site, a tute, or books?

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I don't know the first thing about Linux.

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

If you plan on using the laptop, then you do not want NT. NT is more for specific work related programs/ jobs. There are very few drivers, and NO USB support.
I would suggest XP

But the laptop may not be up to speed for XP

Maybe I want it for work related programs/jobs. Who knows, I just want it for internet for now.

Can a mod move this thread to the "OTHER OS" FORUM?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
123runner's comments about NT are right on. I've installed it and even been on the web, including this site, but it is very obsolete and unless you're needing it for running some specific software you can't run on anything else I would say don't use it.

As far the PCLinuxOS it's great for any refugees from Windows, it installs from a Live CD, you can test it without having to install it first so you can see how your system accepts it. It also has a very well designed desktop and lots of support from several websites including the forum.

http://www.pclinuxos...=...rItemidNum

Chainsaw23

Chainsaw23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

123runner's comments about NT are right on. I've installed it and even been on the web, including this site, but it is very obsolete and unless you're needing it for running some specific software you can't run on anything else I would say don't use it.

As far the PCLinuxOS it's great for any refugees from Windows, it installs from a Live CD, you can test it without having to install it first so you can see how your system accepts it. It also has a very well designed desktop and lots of support from several websites including the forum.

http://www.pclinuxos...=...rItemidNum

Muchas gracias el tigre. I'll check it out. :whistling: