Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Memory too low

• Please log in to reply

rollingstone24

rollingstone24

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hey guys, i was wondering why i keep getting the little bubble that says my virtual memory is too low to perform such task.
I'm trying to save a video that's 83MB, but it doesn't let me. I've already deleted hundreds of songs i had on my computer and some videos to make more space, but it still doesn't work so i figured i'd ask you guys.
I went to my computer->properties->advanced->change and this is what i got..

Posted Image

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I don't know much about the Windows virtual memory but I think I can help you out by explaining the difference between memory and storage. Memory aka RAM is temporary storage. Whenever you power off your computer any information stored in the memory is lost. Memory is just there to speed up the communication between your CPU and your perpherials.

Storage is long term. Things that you "save" or download are written onto your hard drive aka storage drive. Whenever you run out of memory Windows attempts to substitute it with space on your hard drive (virtual memory).

Basically what I am trying to say is you are clearing up storage space when you need to be cleaning up memory space. This is done by simply running less programs/processes.

Edited by Titan8990, 22 May 2007 - 04:11 PM.

rollingstone24

rollingstone24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
So can you tell me precisely what i need to do? Do i need to change the settings?

washout

washout

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
it depends on the type of movie u are trying to save.
what is it ??

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sorry, I can't tell you precisely what to do. I don't know a [bleep] of a lot about virtual memory. I was hoping that a better explaination of your problem would help you to solve it yourself. I'm sure someone else who knows more on this particular subject will come by and drop a post.

I would try killing all uneeded processes with the taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del). Let me know if it works once that is done.

Edited by Titan8990, 22 May 2007 - 04:33 PM.

rollingstone24

rollingstone24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

it depends on the type of movie u are trying to save.
what is it ??

I actually made a 80MB movie. And i'm tryin to "saveit to my computer" but like i said it's not letting me. I'm pretty sure it's WAV but i've NEVER had a prob saving a movie

Sorry, I can't tell you precisely what to do. I don't know a [bleep] of a lot about virtual memory. I was hoping that a better explaination of your problem would help you to solve it yourself. I'm sure someone else who knows more on this particular subject will come by and drop a post.

I would try killing all uneeded processes with the taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del). Let me know if it works once that is done.

Ok ok, look at what my task manager says.. I don't know what to end though, i don't want to harm my computer.

Posted Image

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Close out one of your IE browsers (or both if it is not needed), MSN messanger, and Windows Media player. So you made a movie and now you are just trying to save it to your hard drive?

Edited by Titan8990, 22 May 2007 - 04:37 PM.

rollingstone24

rollingstone24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Close out one of your IE browsers, MSN messanger, and Windows Media player. Where are you downloading this video file from? Do you get an error message other than the "virtual memory low"?

I'm not downloading any video. I made a video in windows movie maker, and i'm trying to turn it into WAV. The way i do that is.. I "save it to my computer" and that makes it a video. I've never had a problem w/ it, just now.

Oh and are you sayin i should end the processes for iexplorer, msn messneger, and media player? ive been afraid to end the process for those cause it might delete em or something, but then again im not a pro :whistling:

I get a message like uhh.. virtual memory too low..blahblahblah, the file types (something lke that)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can modify the amount of virtual memory your machine has. Virtual memory is basically a portion of the hard drive which has been allotted for the purpose of handling the overflow from the real memory (RAM) and the amount allotted can be changed. I believe that if you right click on My Computer and choose Properties and click the last tab you will be allowed to set your virtual allotment.

rollingstone24

rollingstone24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Do yall think it's just better if i just set it to "system managed size"
What exactly does this do anyway?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When your computer is running low on RAM, and you must have more RAM immediately, Windows uses hard disk space to simulate RAM. This is known as virtual memory. It is also known as the paging file.

To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size.

http://support.micro...kb/308417/en-us

If you have 256MB Ram Memory then adding at least another 256MB would help

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
A general consensus with this seams to be is setting veritual memory to system managed size. You can also do half your memory it honestly is up to you.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Aside from doing what others have mentioned, I would suggest doing a Disk Cleanup and Defrag of your HD.

Plus, you said in a couple of your posts that you never had this problem before with a file of this size. You may be infected with Malware taking up a lot of resources you normally do not see. You might visit the Malware Section of this forum, read and follow the pinned instructions there, and let the Malware Experts check to see if you are clean.

Ron

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This problem can arise when the virtual memory iself is being fragmented by many installs and delete of programs and files. This part of the hard disk cannot be defragmented the usual way and you must use another tool for that. Your present virtual memory is reasonably set eventhough I would make it somewhat larger, like Keith suggested, a minimum of 500 and maximum of 1000. Personally I always set virtual memory manually. The reason, very briefly, is that I believe that this is better because this way I put clear borders into which no other files can be written. This becomes very important when the disk is full or badly fragmented and windows starts decreasing the virtual memory and use it for other purposes.

To eleborate on major payne:

1: Download and run ccleaner (a link in my signature). Run the "cleaner" and "issues" a number of times until nothing is left to be clean. When running "issues" backup registry changes when prompted to do so.

2: Run disk defragamantation.

3: Download PageDefrag (link below). That's the microsoft tool that you need to defrag the page files (files stored in the virtual memory). Open the program and check the option "defrag on next boot" (or something similar) and boot the computer. During bootup a blue screen will show up and the process will run. Usually it's a short process running from few seconds to few minutes.