Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu 7.04

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, I've always enjoyed mucking around with Ubuntu distros. I recently installed 7.04 over 6.10 (fresh install, wiped old version) but the best I can get is 1024x768. Version 6.10 immediately put it at 1280x1024 when I had it, and never had a problem. Now this new version doesn't have it as an option. I much prefer the 1280x1024 size for website surfing (see more). A quick search revealed that I had to install Envy, as it would install a driver for my Radeon 9550 graphics card, which I didn't do on version 6.10, and now that I've done it in 7.04, hasn't made any difference! Any suggestions?

By the way, my monitor's native resolution is 1280x1024.

I've also tried to join the ubuntuforums.org website, but I have not received the confirmation e-mail, so I can't log in and post there. If anyone is a member there, can you let them know I haven't received my confirmation e-mail? (Yes, I've checked all my spam filters). My username is the same here and there <ruthandtroy>

Cheers! :whistling:

Edit: Also, you could say I am an Ubuntu noob! I don't really know what I'm doing with a linux OS...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 22 May 2007 - 06:08 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont know what envy is but install the ATI unofficial drivers if you go on the ubuntu wiki (unofficial is better than the official one) and search for installing ATI drivers its the easiest way to do it once its installed you should get all resolutions showing up otherwise if not search how to add your resolution to the display modes manually, ubuntu wise i have yet to find a problem that wasnt on the wikis with step to step instructions.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, I've changed the driver to the ones from this page:

http://wiki.cchtml.c...x.php/Main_Page

Which is the unofficial ATI linux driver wiki...

But still no difference! Any further ideas?

p.s. Envy is a program that automatically installed the latest ATI driver for me... I found it here:

http://www.albertomi....com/index.html

Edited by ruthandtroy, 25 May 2007 - 01:48 AM.

tinyang

tinyang

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
https://bugs.launchp...xorg/ bug/89590

Not too sure if this link helps you.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

https://bugs.launchp...xorg/ bug/89590

Not too sure if this link helps you.

Yes, it looks interesting, but a little different. I have a Radeon 9550 card, not Intel integrated graphics, and all of the weird language about how to fix it doesn't help me (I'm a linux noob, remember?).

tinyang

tinyang

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Yes, it looks interesting, but a little different. I have a Radeon 9550 card, not Intel integrated graphics, and all of the weird language about how to fix it doesn't help me (I'm a linux noob, remember?).

Just one question, when you got this version (7.04) of Ubuntu?

The bug has been fixed 30th March, the official version is released on 16th April.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So shouldn't the software updates fix it? Every time I logon (every other day, at least) it notifies me that some updates are available (and I always update and install). If it doesn't (well, it hasn't so far), if I re-downloaded and burnt a new .iso, you think this would fix my problem? This would be annoying as I'm nearing my download quota for the month :whistling:

Although, I don't really mind as I don't have any fancy stuff installed on it, and no critical data. I just like mucking around with them, having them "work". And so if ever XP goes bust (like it often does!) I can access the internet or whatever...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So if anyone is still following this thread looking for an answer, I have now wiped my Ubuntu installation and have installed PCLinuxOS 2007 (thanks Tyger!), and it works fine. Good distro too, might I add... I might try checking Ubuntu again later, see if a further release or patch fixes this problem. Something so simple has lost me (possibly temporarily), but still, Ubuntu really needs to fix this as it's a really good distro otherwise...

EDIT: thanking Tyger for help with PCLinuxOS 2007 .iso download issues...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 03 June 2007 - 09:37 PM.