Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply fails?

• Please log in to reply

plo

plo

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
not sure if this is a power supply failure or somthing, i posted here a while back, from that i got that its not any over heating, comp is clean

got to be quick if omp shutsdown again so going to keep updating

ok updating: i changed power supply cables with other cioomp that has no problems, the other comp was fine and i still get the problem

could it be somthing on the motherboard?

Edited by plo, 23 May 2007 - 01:59 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you change the power supply or just the cable that comes from the wall...
what exactly is your problem...
you need to give us all the pieces of the puzzle if you want help fixing it...

Edited by happyrck, 24 May 2007 - 08:56 AM.

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
i changed the cable to the wall only and every now and then..... sometimes frequently.... comp just shuts down.... moniter stays on but anything from the tower goes off

macko01

macko01

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have that problem with my computer to i was told to open the computer case make sure computer unplugged from wall and make sure there are no unconnected wires or ribbons touching the motherboard

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
mm so what do i do if there is? is something short circutting perhaps? shoud i just sticky tape it or somthing? lol

macko01

macko01

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
couldnt really tell you but if you have a look then that may be the problem and just move the cable/ribbon away

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...
what are you doing when it crashs..

Edited by happyrck, 23 May 2007 - 09:31 AM.

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
last time i posted for this problem i was told to do the same thing and i was told my temps etc were just fine but i'll still put one up and... i can be doing anything, even right after log onto my comp and it'll crash

ps. trying to remember hw to take screen shot and post it again ><

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

last time i posted for this problem i was told to do the same thing

do you have a link to that thread...may save us some time..just click on my assistant just below the dark blue graphic header (right side) and search your posts..copy and paste the link to the thread back here

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ns-t153074.html

comp has been consatnyl shutting down all morning, sometimes not even loading windows first

finnaly got past that, expect it to crash any second now

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I was helping in that thread too...back on MARCH 28 you posted this..

i have swapp'd pwoer cabels with my bros comp and seems that the problem isn't effecting either of our comps... it may still occur in the near future
I responded with this..
go back to the link I gave you and clear the log...then if you have any problems it will only be the current problems...

my next post after checking the event logs was this...
you also have... Viewpoint Manager Service...a rouge app I suspect to be contributing to the problem..take a side trip thru our malware forum here and get checked out...

you didn't do either of the things I asked you to do ....you replied with this....
problem still doens't seem to be happening so it may be fixed but with my luck my computer will be hit by a meteor any time now

In addition you were not told your temps were fine...at idle they were...after a few minutes they jumped to the edge of max...and were bordering on getting hot enough to crash your system....

if /when I feel people don't follow my advice or do what I ask I just add them to my blocked list and I never see anything posted by them again..
I would have continued to help you in that old thread but when you posted back again on MAY 2 in that thread I didn't get notified..so I will let it slide...in the future if you didn't recieve a response in a couple of days you could PM me to see if I was still alive....

Edited by happyrck, 26 May 2007 - 07:28 AM.

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
oh i'm sorry for that, are you still willing to help me? I am most definatly greatly appreciative of any help given.

in short, could you explain what i need to do next please? if you dont mind of course

by the way, it seems that the shut down happens more often when i open games... although not all the time and last month, i had very few crashes from memory... also the tower si pretty clean from dust.

Edited by plo, 26 May 2007 - 08:09 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep I'll still help...go here and take the free online scan first...

plo

plo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
ADWARE_COMMANDDESKTOP

was the only thing that couldn't be removed by it, i've also downloaded the trial thing and will run that scan

i think that command this is the same as Command Service which is somthing that most of my scanning things detect but can't remove. NOt sure if ithis asaware iss related to my problem but might help.

thanks again

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try running the scans in safe mode...how many things did the online scan find...do you remember any of the names...
what tools do you have...
if after running your scans in safe mode ADWARE_COMMANDDESKTOP still shows up go here and look at post # 7
and yes ...malware can cause system hangs and crashes...

Edited by happyrck, 27 May 2007 - 07:48 AM.