Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't start properly.

• Please log in to reply

FireDemon

FireDemon

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey. I have absolutely no idea what is going on. I went to use my computer today but when I turned the monitor on, the screen was blank. (The computer was working earlier today as my brother was able to print) I tried to turn the computer off by the power button on the keyboard, no luck. I finally turned it off, went to turn it back on, it turned back on... but then nothing. The beep which usually occurs didn't sound and the monitor was responding with "no signal". I also noticed that the whole time, the light that isn't the power light just stayed red, not flashing, just a steady light and that the CD burner doesn't open, while the DVD burner opens and it's light flashes when I start the computer. I kind of really need help on this, I desperately need some of my files off the hard drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

jerkyjim

jerkyjim

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
This sounds like a serious problem to me, it may be due to damages RAM or at worst a a damages motherboard, i suggest putting your hard drive to another computer an taking your files from there. Just out of interest can you hear your psu or cpu fan at all?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
open the case and look at the fans when you hit the power button do they spin...no... then your power supply died...

FireDemon

FireDemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It sounds like the fans are working when it starts up(dont have time to test now but it does make some sound)... just out of interest, could my HDD have been damaged? I'm really freaking as theres files on it I really need and stupid me, never backed up.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I doubt the HD died...you can slave the drive to a working computer and get the files burned to CD OR DVD's or flash drive or external hard drive...have you tried booting into safe mode yet...

FireDemon

FireDemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was going to try and put the HDD in another computer I have, however theres another problem, the other computer is running Win 98 and the hard drive's file system is NTFS and I read somewhere that 98 doesn't support NTFS. I don't think I'd be able to boot into safe mode as it doesn't even pass the POST, it just sits there, never beeping with the lights staying on continously.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if it won't get past the POST then the power supply is probably dead...if you have another one of equal or greater watts... you could swap them and test to be sure...if you have to buy one don't get a cheap one ...they cause more problems that act like other components are to blame ...
here is a link to a good one for $ 30.00
another one here...under $30.00
both these are good brands..

Edited by happyrck, 24 May 2007 - 09:27 AM.