Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compuer Hangsup

• Please log in to reply

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Hi. After my computer was working for several hours either downloading stuff or doing something else, I try to play a game or use some software like DVD player, Etc. I get this 1/2 to 1 second chirping sound of either my Hard Drive or something else, and my system completely hangs up, with Hard Drive indicator being constantly lit and not blinking. I have to switch power off to get out of this state. I ran Anti-virus, Anti-spyware (Evido) and all that stuff, nothing infected. I also felt my PC in the back, and it was kinda hot. I did run Disk Check with surface, and it didn't find anything. Please help.

In addition, heat sink of my video card is very hot, to such extent so that I can't hold my finger to it.

Edited by bigdog1100, 23 May 2007 - 07:38 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets see if its a heat or voltage issue..
go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

Edited by happyrck, 23 May 2007 - 07:40 AM.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Here are screen shots. One is when computer was turned on recently and another afterit worked for a while.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Here are screen shots. One is when computer was turned on recently and another afterit worked for a while.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
interesting...never seen one without a 12 V reading before..anyway the temps and voltages you do show are good...look in the device manager and see if you have any yellow ! or red X's..
how long has the hanging been going on anyway...how often does it happen....
did you recently add any new hardware or software ...any windows updates..
have you tried CTRL + ALT + DELETE when it hangs ...you may want to try CTRL + ALT + DELETE then click on processes if its feeling slugish..see what process is using the most resources...

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Device manager is clean. CTR+Alt+Del is not wokring, nor does alt+tab; essentially nothing is responding. It started about a month ago, when I tried to launch Counter Strike. The application loads, but when I am trying to connect to a server computer hangs. So it is obvious that it hangs up while under some stress and while hot. I recently got the PC from repair. I had to replace video card, as the old one was bugging. I think I even posted about it, here someplace. ANy other ideas? What troubleshooting I can do and how?

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Almost forgot. While system crashes without Counter Strike, it first crashed there. So when I use OpenGL video rendering, system crashes. When I use Software rendering, while the game is in slow motion, the system doesn't crash. I hope this helps as well.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you have a restore point older then the time the computer first crashed...IE about 1.5 months back...if so try it...

this.. "while the game is in slow motion, the system doesn't crash. I hope this helps as well." makes it sound like the video card is getting hot ...do you have the latest STABLE drivers from your video card manufactures site...

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Yes. I did get the latest drivers from ATI, including their newest Catalyst suite. That was the first thing I actually did. I do also think that the video card is playing the role in PC crashing. However, I think that the power fluctuates due to possible improper connection of it to the motherboard or something. So when there is a greater need for resources, the system gives up and hangs. But when we move the cord on the motherboard in trying to insure proper connection, then the system seems to start working ok while still hot for a while. What can I do to add additional cooling in a tight SONY case? Or should I test the power output if it's constant. Can it also be power supply? It does get pretty hot.

As far as Restore option, I don't remember the last time when this system actually worked. Even in other places I use other PCs, the system restore never works. So, I figured its a waste of resources and drain on my pc performance, so I turned it off. Why bother if it doesn't work anyway.

Edited by bigdog1100, 24 May 2007 - 09:36 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the best way to get cooling is to add fans...if your case allows it ...1 in front of the hard drives blowing into the case across the drives (dowm low )..2nd fan at the rear of the case blowing out of the case (up high)...again if your case is set up fo it... use 120 MM fans ...they turn slower and run quieter (the tip of fan speed determines noise )
restore only takes care of small problems...and in your case probably would not help...BUT it does not use many resources at all...you determine how much hard drive space and with the cheap large hard drives of today it can be a quick fix for small stuff..I recommend you turn it back on...

when we move the cord on the motherboard in trying to insure proper connection, then the system seems to start working ok
this could be your problem...might not hurt to unplug from the wall...open case ...disconnect power supply cable from mobo...look into the end that connects to the mobo and make sure one of the connecters hasn't slipped back a little bit...check all the wires by pushing on each one individually trying to force it deeper into the plug...

Edited by happyrck, 24 May 2007 - 04:20 PM.

Advertisements

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I have no room in my PC, it is SONY :whistling: Will it help to insert one exhaust fan (for PCI expansion slot), in the back? I forgot to mention that my power supply fan is not pulling air out of power supply but pushing air through it from the case.

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I have no room in my PC, it is SONY :whistling: Will it help to insert one exhaust fan (for PCI expansion slot), in the back? I forgot to mention that my power supply fan is not pulling air out of power supply but pushing air through it from the case.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what model of sony do you have...

Will it help to insert one exhaust fan (for PCI expansion slot), in the back?

if thats your only option to get a fan exausting air out of the case...the problem with that style is its. at the bottom of the case instead of up by the top where all the hot air goes naturally ....but if there aren't any other options besides changing the case itself...then get one...

bigdog1100

bigdog1100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
SONY VAIO PCV-RZ50CG. Pentium 4 3.2 Gig, 2 Gig RAM, Two 250 Gig HD, ATI Radeon 9800 PRO, Soundblaster X-Fi Music.
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004.

My power supply is at the top, and there is no other place to install fan but at the bottom or so. Is liquid cooling an option? How cumbersome is it?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
My power supply is at the top, and there is no other place to install fan but at the bottom or so. Is liquid cooling an option? How cumbersome is it?
liquid cooling is a option ..BUT..its a lot of modding to do and it isn't cheap...you may be better off replacing the power supply ...more WATTS and blowing the hot air OUT of the case instead if into the case...
I went to sonys site and they no longer post the specs for your computer..