Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes due to explorer (taskbar function not web browser)

• Please log in to reply

ArcticEmpress

ArcticEmpress

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Many times a day my computer completely freezes. I cannot access any applications sitting in the taskbar. I cannot reboot or even load up the task manager to reboot. When I do shut down it takes my computer about 30-45 minutes to boot up fully where applications will load and not lock up the taskbar.

I have done virus scans, spyware scans, nothing helps as nothing is found. I have no idea what to do but I feel like my computer is about to have a major meltdown...please help!!

Thanks so much in advance for anyone's help in this matter! :whistling:

Edited by ArcticEmpress, 23 May 2007 - 09:06 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Two possibilities spring to mind -- bad RAM or a failing hard disk, (the latter happened to my son's PC, same symptoms as yours, and he had to buy a new hard disk to resolve it).

First, however, you need to be really certain that your current disk is free of malware before spending money, since it might just be something you haven't found. The usual advice is to download a utility called "HijackThis" and you can read all about how to get that and what to do with it by reading the 'pinned' posts on the Malware section of G2G: http://www.geekstogo...o-Here-f37.html

ArcticEmpress

ArcticEmpress

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much for your fast response!!

I'm thinking it might be the RAM. I do graphic design and run 3 sites so I always have tons of applications open. Graphics program, website design program, browsers, IMs you name it. But it neve used to take this long to get a reboot or even to have to just shut the computer down without taking the proper steps. I am checking out the thread that you posted for me, I appreciate it sooo much!

I hope I don't have to buy a new harddrive, my life is on here :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
The reason why we first say malware is becouse that is what most of the reaons behind the problems are in this catagory of problem. The other times Hard drive then memory then mainboard then processer.

At least that is the Order that I look at things for slow preformance.

ArcticEmpress

ArcticEmpress

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much you guys! I'm actually in the process right now and have been all day of scanning and cleaning with the tools provided in the section suggested in the previous post. Had a few things found, cleaned that but still having troubles so I'm continuing down the list. Hopefully that was the problem!!!

*Crossing fingers & toes *