Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB mouse turns on and off

• Please log in to reply

jopo

jopo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I've had my eye on this great site for a while, and now unfortunately have a problem that needs to be posted :whistling:

I have a 3-year old usb optical mouse (the only identifier on it is "Hip Gear") connected to my new Dell laptop. It was working well for the first couple of weeks, but all of a sudden yesterday it started connecting and disconnecting from the USB port randomly. The problem seems to be getting worse. It now happens almost any time I move the mouse for more than a couple of seconds. Occasionally, if I unplug the mouse and plug it back in, I will get a pop-up balloon in the notification area telling me the device was not recognized. This quickly disappears and the device starts to work (for a few moments).

In anticipation of some of your questions:
-Although I have been busy installing software and making various other changes to my new computer since I bought it, I can't think of anything I did the last few days before the problem began. Just to be sure, I tried a System Restore, and that didn't solve the problem. I have not installed any new hardware beyond this mouse.
-I have tried connecting the mouse to all USB ports and the problem persists
-I have also connected the mouse to another computer running Windows XP SP2, and it works fine (so it can't be a mouse problem).
-I have checked the status of all USB ports & root hubs, and of the mouse itself, in Device Manager. Everything is apparently working properly. Tried updating the mouse driver, and there was an update from Samsung. This did not solve the problem, so I rolled back to the original driver.
-I tried unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" box for each USB root hub. Didn't help, so I checked the boxes again.

Lastly, my system:
Dell Inspiron 6400
Windows XP SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo T5300 @1.73 Ghz
2 Gb DDR2 RAM
256 Mb ATI X1400 video

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by jopo, 23 May 2007 - 09:38 AM.

Advertisements