Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to add RAM to a notebook PC?

• Please log in to reply

ChipsA.Hoy

ChipsA.Hoy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have an Acer TravelMate 2480, and just purchased additional RAM. It's my first notebook PC, and don't know how to add the RAM chip.....

Can anyone provide a good guide (pictures are always good :whistling: ...I am not even sure which panel on the back to take off. Tried both, but doesn't look clear as to how to remove anything....

Also wondering if it's recommended that an intermediate user such as I attempt such a thing...I've added memory to a desktop.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Chip

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take each panel off in turn, keep the screws safe, see what's under it. You'll find it.
On some laptop models you may find you have to take the keyboard out to get at the memory slots.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Google is your friend.
If your RAM is under your keyboard (this is normally only older models) look at this step by step guide.
http://www.hardwares...m/article/189/1

If its on the bottom look here.
http://www.computerm...top-memory.html

James

ChipsA.Hoy

ChipsA.Hoy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I dont know if these pictures are clearer, but I have 2 panels on the back of my Acer Travelmate 2480. The smaller panel covers what appears to be the hard drive. I took it out and that does not have space for adding. The other much larger panel has 2 screws at one end. When I unscrew these, that end of the panel lifts up slightly. But the other end of the cover will not come off. I tried as hard as I could to ease the cover off, sliding it, pulling, but if I exhert any more pressure, the panel will break.

You've been incredibly helpful, but I dont know what else I can do, except pay a tech to insert the chip for me, which seems ridiculous.

Chip

Attached Thumbnails

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you can't see it on the bottom it's probably under your keyboard, if this is the case I recommend you send it in for someone to do it as a lot more can go wrong.
James