Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3D screen savers freeze my computer

• Please log in to reply

Ren

Ren

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Whenever I go to screen savers in display properties, and select a screen saver like 3D text or 3D box, computer freezes for a little bit then the 3Dblahblahwhateveritis.scr terminates ("End now")... I did manage to set 3D text as my screen saver before, and when it activates it runs very slowly, and stopping the screen saver (by moving the mouse, pressing a key aso.) also takes ages. I thought it might be a video card problem but my computer seems to run Return To Castle Wolfenstein pretty well so that can't be it... Any ideas? :tazz:

By the way, other ones like Mystify and Marquee work without any dramas..

Advertisements

Ren

Ren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well I seem to have solved the problem myself. I checked out the pinned XP Tweaks thread and disabled Indexing to free up my memory (=RAM?) and now the 3D screen savers now work and stop fine. Thanks!

Ren

Ren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well I was very disenheartened[?] to find the same problem again on my computer yesterday, and I was just waiting for Geeks To Go to load to ask for help again when I was flicking through the task manager and the solution jumped out at me. The RAM-stealing culprit was my SETI@home client. Argh why didn't I think of that before? ;)

I just thought I'd post this for anyone else who might run into the same problem. :tazz: