Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Keyboard/Movement Causing Crash?

• Please log in to reply

harlanz

harlanz

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Toshiba laptop (Portege 2000) that has been regularly crashing for a few months now. In short, I'd be very grateful for some help in walking me through the steps to diagnose the possible problems. Here are some of the things that seem like symptoms:

1. Sometimes it will go for an hour or two before crashing, and other times it crashes right away. I get the BSOD, but unfortunately it flashes by so quick I can't see the error message. I've followed the instructions on "do this before posting a hijack log" and the machine was pretty clean except for tracking cookies, so I don't think it was spyware or a virus (I had to run some of the scan programs about 4 times before it could make it all the way through without crashing).

2. It takes a long time to boot up - like 5 minutes, and I can hear the hard drive going all that time. There are just a few programs in the start-up, however. I have defragged the hard drive every so often, that's not the problem.

3. Frequently it freezes up so badly I have to unplug it and remove the battery before I can get it to reboot.

4. I have Symantec anti-virus 10 and firewall, both are updated.

5. Running Windows XP, with SP2.

6. I've noticed that it often crashes when I am typing or if I bump the machine.

7. The underside of the laptop can get quite hot.

8. I have run CCleaner and used to run Regcure a lot, no real difference.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi there. Sadly, I don't have the *exact* solution, but I've seen a problem similar, and can help you get a little closer to solving this.

First, let's allow you to see that blue screen...

Boot into windows normally, and once at the desktop, right-click on the My Computer icon, and select Properties.

A window will now appear, showing some system information. Click on the Advanced tab.

Look at the bottom, inside the Startup and Recovery divider. Click on the Settings button.

In the middle section, you will see Automatically Restart. Click inside the check box to remove the check mark.

Click on both Ok buttons (both windows only have one of course)

You may need to restart. If you are prompted to, go right ahead and do that.

When you get a blue screen, you will now be able to see the message. When you get a blue screen, write down the exact code you see at the bottom. For example: STOP: 0x000000 ... Report the code to us, and we'll research it.

I want to see what this does for you before I make any diagnosis. Keep in touch. :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Everst from my signature. Run it on Computer > Sensor. Wait few seconds until values show up. While everst is still opened run the antivirus for about 10 minutes. After that time look and report temperatures of the cpu, HD and motherboard.

Download BurnInTest from my signature. It's a trial version of a good hardware testing program free for 30 days, giving 15 minutes of scan. Run the scan. Before doing so insert a cd into the cd drive and a floppy into the drive (if you have a floppy drive) to avoid error messages from these devices. Please report what errors where found (if there are any).

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Double post. sorry.

Edited by The Skeptic, 25 May 2007 - 08:30 AM.

harlanz

harlanz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi. Thank you both for your helpful responses.
Facedown, I changed the setting. Unfortunately, it did not result in the BSOD stopping - it still goes right through to the boot.

Skeptik, I tried to download Everest. Unfortunately I previously used the laptop with my company, and it is set up as a networked machine. So, Everest would not run as it did not see me as a home user. Do you have another recommended test that might measure the temperature? As I said, I do notice the bottom of the laptop gets quite hot.

I did download and run Burnin. About 10 minutes into the test, I got a load constant beep and a constant BSOD. The initial message was IRQL_NOT_LESS-OR-EQUAL. Later on, it listed the following:

STOP 0x0000000A (0x820956A0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80524FCE).

Shall I try to run the test again or does that tell you anything useful?

Thanks a lot.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Run BurnInTest again. When it fails, after about 10 minutes (if it fails) reboot the computer. enter BIOS and search there for Hardware Monitor or computer health or something of this nature. There you can read the required temperatures.

The reason I prefer Everest is that cpu temperature changes very rapidly and it will cool to a certain degree during bootup and the time it takes to search the data in the BIOS. With Everst you have a real-time temperature reading. If you can't use it try the BIOS.

harlanz

harlanz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello. OK, I ran the full battery of tests on Burnin again and they went to their completion (it was set for 15 minutes, I think) and everything passed both times. I will try to look on Bios later today after a crash.
Thanks a lot for staying with me.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You don't have to wait for a crash. All we want is to load the computer by running BurnInTest and force it to warm up to working temperature and then look in the BIOS. You can just as well run the antivirus, it will do the same thing, maybe not as forcefully but still sufficiantly good to warm the computer before temp reading is taken..

harlanz

harlanz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello. I have run through the BIOS. Unfortunately it does not appear that there is a temperature check there. Would something like Speedfan work? http://www.majorgeek...ownload337.html Is there another freeware or trial prodct you would recommend?

BTW. from browsing the Toshiba materials, I see that what is really hot on my machine is the HDD. Don't know if this is normal. It works a lot on my machine, long after I think it should be accessing something. Perhaps that just means it is slow.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you can use Speedfan go ahead with that. I wonder why you can use Speedfan and not use Everest. Regarding Speedfan it gives you abstract readings of temperatures and you have to be smart enough to correlate temp to hardware. I must admit that I am not that smart, nor do I understand why I have to go through this guess work. It annoys me so much that I just don't come near this software anymore. You can also try Sandra Lite (freeware) to read the temperatures.

By the way if you can't read temperatures in the BIOS you might not be able to read temps at all because the softwares use the same sensors as the BIOS.

Advertisements

harlanz

harlanz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Apologies for the delayed response. Unfortunately Sandra can't get temps from my machine - it looks like my motherboard is not ablet to hand out that info or something. However, I have run Sandra (great tool) and insert the entire report below in case something occurs to you. My laptop hasbeen crashing less though still taking ages to start/close down and stays hot.
Thanks again!

***** Start of Report *****
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< Computer Overview >>>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< Mainboard >>>

Warning 2533: Disabled host controllers are present. Check
BIOS settings.
Notice 224: SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Warning 2507: Mainboard has too few memory slots. Upgrading
the memory may be difficult or expensive.
Tip 2511: Some memory slots are free so the memory can
be easily upgraded.
Tip 2536: System has no SMBus/i2c/BMB bus support.

<<< Mainboard Configuration >>>

Tip 201: System BIOS : System BIOS is old. Check for
an update.
Notice 224: System BIOS : SMBIOS/DMI information may be
inaccurate.
Tip 212: System BIOS : BIOS can be shadowed so check
whether it is.
Warning 214: System BIOS : BIOS is flash-able but surface-
mounted. An unsuccessful flash may be fatal.

<<< Processors >>>

Warning 2533: CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] :
Disabled host controllers are present. Check
BIOS settings.
Notice 224: CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] :
SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.

<<< Buses and Devices >>>

Error: CardBus Bus 2 (1/1x BClk) : No devices found.
: No devices found.
Error: CardBus Bus 3 (1/1x BClk) : No devices found.
: No devices found.

<<< Power Management >>>

Tip 1108: Processor power policy not optimal. For best
power management efficiency, choose the
adaptive mode.
Notice 224: SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.

<<< Displays and Display Adapters >>>

Tip 319: Video Adapter : Primary Display Driver
(display) : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz
is recommended. Increase it if possible.
Tip 322: Video Adapter : Primary Display Driver
(display) : Turn off screen savers. Use the
monitor power saving mode.
Tip 323: Video Adapter : Primary Display Driver
(display) : Remove the desktop wallpaper to
save memory and improve performance.
Tip 319: Video Adapter : Trident Video Accelerator
CyberBlade XP Ai1 v6.4022-016L.22ICD (\\.\
DISPLAY1) @ \\.\DISPLAY1 : A refresh rate of
at least 75Hz is recommended. Increase it if
possible.
Tip 322: Video Adapter : Trident Video Accelerator
DISPLAY1) @ \\.\DISPLAY1 : Turn off screen
savers. Use the monitor power saving mode.
Tip 323: Video Adapter : Trident Video Accelerator
DISPLAY1) @ \\.\DISPLAY1 : Remove the desktop
wallpaper to save memory and improve
performance.
Tip 316: Monitor : Default Monitor : Use a Energy Star
(DPMS) power saving monitor.
Warning 332: Monitor : Default Monitor : Use a Plug & Play/
DDC compatible monitor and video adapter.

<<< Physical Disks >>>

Warning 3101: TOSHIBA MK2003GAH (ATA) : Power management
enabled. Consider disabling on desktops.
Warning 3104: TOSHIBA MK2003GAH (ATA) : Current mode not
optimal. Check settings.

<<< SCSI Devices >>>

Warning 2600: HST H0 (NTSCSI) (07 10) : TOSHIBA MK2003GAH
: SCSI version does not adhere to ANSI.
Probably ATA/ATAPI device.
Warning: HST H1 (NTSCSI) (07 10) : No devices found. :
No devices found.

<<< Printers and Faxes >>>

<<< Communication Devices >>>

<<< Ports >>>

<<< Audio Devices >>>

<<< Mice and Track-balls >>>

Tip 803: A mouse with wheel is recommended for better
control.

<<< Keyboards and Tablets >>>

<<< Network Adapters >>>

Warning 502: Firewall Programs : Not all network adapters
are firewalled! Check firewall settings.

<<< Operating System >>>

Warning 1316: This copy of Windows contains Product
Activation Technology.
Warning 1322: Hardware DEP is not supported by your CPU.
Software DEP in use. Consider upgrading for
complete security.

<<< Memory Usage >>>

<<< Processes >>>

Warning: wmiprvse : Process no longer exists!

<<< Modules >>>

<<< Services and Drivers >>>

Tip 2130: Alerter : Service may be disabled on Home/
Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: Background Intelligent Transfer Service :
Service may be disabled on Home/Professional
OS version.
Tip 2130: Computer Browser : Service may be disabled on
Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: Help and Support : Service may be disabled on
Tip 2130: TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper : Service may be
disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: Net Logon : Service may be disabled on Home/
Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: IPSEC Services : Service may be disabled on
Tip 2130: Remote Registry : Service may be disabled on
Tip 2130: Secondary Logon : Service may be disabled on

<<< Fonts >>>

<<< Media Devices >>>

CDAudio: Unknown problem while loading the specified
device driver.

<<< DirectX >>>

Tip 2212: DirectDraw Devices : Primary
Display Driver (display) : No
hardware stretch support.
Tip 2212: DirectDraw Devices : Trident Video
Accelerator CyberBlade XP Ai1
v6.4022-016L.22ICD (\\.\DISPLAY1) @
\\.\DISPLAY1 : No hardware stretch
support.

<<< OpenGL >>>

<<< Logical Drives >>>

Tip 1821: Hard Disk (C:) : Label (name) drive.
Warning: \\capzwork\hzimmerman$ (H:) : Cannot obtain
drive information; check that a disk is in
the drive and it is correctly formatted.
Warning: \\capzwork\londonpublic$ (L:) : Cannot obtain
drive information; check that a disk is in
the drive and it is correctly formatted.
Warning: \\capzwork\public$ (P:) : Cannot obtain drive
information; check that a disk is in the
drive and it is correctly formatted.

<<< File Types >>>

<<< Environment Variables >>>

***** End of Report *****

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks as if we cannot measure temperatures because the wiseguys in some computer companies prefer to save few cents and deprive you of one of the most important diagostic tools. Please do the following:

1: Enter task manager. (ctrl+alt+del) go to Processes, let the computer idle {that means after all applications are loaded and no scans are running.(no updates, no malware scans, nothing. The computer should be at rest)} and write down the last figure in CPU coloumn for Memory Idle Process. Under normal condition this should be above, say, 95.

2: If it's lower please try to find out in the list of processes which process is active and is constantly using cpu resources.

3: Use a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of the air inlets at the bottom and the side of the computer

4: Lift up the laptop by placings books at the sides. This will improve air circulation.

Please do the following: (For downloads use links in my signature).

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup" tab and
uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only
antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those
programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon ebooting you will see a message that should be
checked.

2: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of times
until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to
do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Use Spybot Search and
Destroy, AVG Anti-Spyware and Adaware SE. Run your Antivirus. Run full system
scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

4: Run disk defragmantation. Click start > all programs > accessories > system tools >
disk defragmenter.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags system and page files which are
not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical
memory". Please report Total and Available.

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: > properties. Please report Capacity and Free
Space of your hard disk.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Not going to help fix the issue, but if this is/could be hard disk issue please backup data you need.

(sorry for stepping in here but no one mentioned data backup)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
No problem, bobmad.

harlanz

harlanz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Skeptic,
Thanks so much for your detailed, clear and helpful suggestions. I apologise that it has taken me a while to get to doing it, when you have responded so quickly. I have a few things going on at the moment (like a new young baby in the house).

Anyway, here are partial results so far:

1: Enter task manager. (ctrl+alt+del) go to Processes, let the computer idle {that means after all applications are loaded and no scans are running.(no updates, no malware scans, nothing. The computer should be at rest)} and write down the last figure in CPU coloumn for Memory Idle Process. Under normal condition this should be above, say, 95.

My machine (Windows XP Professional) does not show Memory Idle Process. I have System Idle Process. The CPU for that, however shows a CPU fluctuating between 93 and 98. On a prior test, it showed 00 for some reason.

2: If it's lower please try to find out in the list of processes which process is active and is constantly using cpu resources.

Despite limiting startup to only 3 anti-virus and anti-spyware entries, I show about 30 processes running in task manager. Almost all of them have CPU = 00. In terms of memor, the largest are symantec files like rtvscan, doscan (about 30,000k each sometimes, else 10,000 or so), then svchost, avgas, explorer, ccapp, all below 10,000k. I have not idea what most of those are.

3: Use a can of compressed air and blow the dust out of the air inlets at the bottom and the side of the computer
Done. Unfortunately there is just a tiny little vent on the side and some small holes on the bottom.

4: Lift up the laptop by placings books at the sides. This will improve air circulation.
I got some laptop legs that raise the back of the machine quite a bit.

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the "startup" tab and
uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only
antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those
programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting you will see a message that should be
checked.

Done. Didn't see any funny messages, except warning me that it was starting up in selective mode.

2: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of times
until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to
do so.

Done. I actually had this before but ran cleaner and issues a few times. Issues found about 10 things, the other stuff was pretty clean.

I'm now trying to do the big scans. I will keep you posted.

Thanks a lot

Edited by harlanz, 01 June 2007 - 04:41 PM.