Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd/r and dvd drive not showing in my computer

• Please log in to reply

debbiedo

debbiedo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, Novice calling, I had a cdwr drive but it stoped working didn't know why but everything was showing in my computer at that time, so i went out and bought a new one. Put the new drive in went to install the new software but the dvd drive was now not working. At this time only the C and A drive were showing in My computer so i rebooted and then a L drive showed up but this was for the cdwr so i still couldn't install the software. A message did popup saying new hardware, then another said something about a problem .dll. I have had a look today and now the L drive is gone again.

Can someone help please. I have used Adware to remove stuff, i may of deleted something important!!

Edited by debbiedo, 09 April 2005 - 02:41 AM.

Advertisements

RaaF

RaaF

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
You need to go into your BIOS so the computer can detect the new hardware.

Edited by RaaF, 09 April 2005 - 02:11 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what OS?

You are posting on win9x, but your profile says windows xp

debbiedo

debbiedo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Can you tell me how to go into BIOS? My operating system is XP i must of come in on the wrong posting?!!?

RaaF

RaaF

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
If your Comp boots there is a message on what key to press to go into Bios, setup or whatever it is beeing named.
As there are different ways of getting into BIOS depending on what motherboard you have I can't exactly tell you how.
Once you are in your bios you should go to the first opion, something like "standard settings" there should be a option to detect IDE drives.
If you are not shure on what to do read the manual that came with your motherboard, or ask a tech person to do it.
The BIOS is the very heart of your computer you CAN mess up things there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Debbie,

Raaf and I are moving at cross purposes here.

I do not believe bios detection is your issue, but perhaps you can help us out.

First, when you first start your computer, you will see the BIOS messagehe referrs to...you should see a memory count up and drive detection, assuming your computer splash screen is not hiding it.

Do you see any drives...watch quickly.

Second, does your computer take a long time too start? Before this all began, how many drives did you have in your comptuer when you look at MY COMPUTER

Third, after your computer boots, right click on MY COMPUTER, go to PROPERTIES, then go to the HARDWARE tab, then choose DEVICE MANAGER. Do you see any yellow !s?