Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network Connection problem

• Please log in to reply

pgrfowler

pgrfowler

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have two PCs and a laptop. The two PCs connect fine and allow printer and file sharing but I can't repeat the process with the laptop. I go to My Network Places/Add Network Place and go through the wizard OK. When I try to brownse to my ntwork (MSHOME) I get the following error message, "MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource>Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The lsit of servers for this group is not available." I'm the adminsitrator and don't know where to go next - any suggestions?

PS all PCs and the laptop are Dells and the broadband router is a BT Hub. I'm sure this all worked fine when I had an old router before going over to the BT hub many months ago. When I try to view the woreless networks I get a message saying, "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection. If you have enabled another program to configure this network connection, use that software...." I'm at a loss to know what this might be.

PPS I can access the internet from the laptop so there is a shared connection of some sort.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi pgrfowler, sorry for the wait.

When you get the error message "Windows cannot configure this wireless connection..." it means that another program is taking care of your wireless settings for you. Usually, this program might come with the wireless adapter card. There is an option to turn this off and let windows configure it, but not having access to a computer with wireless capability at the moment, I don't remember where it is...

Anyway, about the MSHOME error, it might be possible that your firewall program is not allowing access. What firewall are you using?

pgrfowler

pgrfowler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ruthandtroy,

I use Norton Antivirus etc but available through BT.

I tried turning it off and letting Windows configure it but it seems to be over-ridden somehow.

I've also seached the internet for the same error message nad it seems quite common. Some cures seem to involve editing the registry which I'm a little apprehensive about doing.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
"I use Norton Antivirus etc but available through BT."

So what is BT? This is your router?

Are you using Norton Anti-virus, or Norton Internet Security? What version is this? If you aren't using Norton Internet Security, what firewall are you using?

Is the internet you can access from the laptop through wireless? If not, and the wireless completely doesn't work, then you may need to uninstall and re-install it to get Windows to configure it correctly, the drivers may have become corrupt.

No need to go editing the registry just yet. If ever we get to that stage, one of the staff members will talk you through it step by step, so you needn't worry!

Edited by ruthandtroy, 29 May 2007 - 03:34 AM.