Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't uninstall SP2.

• Please log in to reply

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I recently installed SP2. i was reluctant to do so from the beginning because ive heard it may cause problems, but others assured me it only happened to a small percentage of people. i guess i was in that small percentage because when i installed it i had some problems. my firefox browser wouldnt load any pages. i had the "problem loading the page" error. im sure it wasnt my net connection because i was able to connect online with other apps.

i checked the Windows firewall to allow firefox to access the net it still didnt work. so i disabled the firewall temporarily and it still didnt work.

so i decided to uninstall SP2. i found it on the add/remove programs list and successfully uninstalled. but then and i admit i was tired and wasnt thinking clearly and i did a system restore. it restored my system back and SP2 was installed again. so i then proceeded to uninstall it again from the add/remove programs list. when i selected to remove SP2 an error message came up and said something like "Windows SP2 may have been uninstalled already, do you want to remove it from the list?".

so now theres no option in add/remove programs list to uninstall it. i tried restoring to a restore point from when i first installed SP2, but system restore says it couldnt restore it to that point.

i tried reinstalling it but it isnt in the Windows Update list. i had downloaded the "Windows XP SP2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers" earlier and still had it on my computer. so i tried installing that in hopes that it would be on the add/remove list but its not.

so now i need to know if theres another way to uninstall SP2 besides having to reformat? i havent tried loading windows up in safe mode yet to see if its on the list, ill try that tomorrow.

to think of it, if there is no way to uninstall it or you'd advise against it then if you can fix my original problem of firefox browser not being able to load a webpage (IE cant either) then ill just keep SP2 installed. that problem was why i uninstalled SP2 in the first place.

Computer Specs:
-Gateway 510 Series
-WinXP
-Pen 4 2.80Ghz
-512mb RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
-Adware/Spyware/Virus Protection used regularly are Ad-aware, NOD32 and Norton AV 2003.

also i dont know if this has anything to do with SP2 or just coincidence but my HP PSC 2310 printer cant print or scan anything. i get an error message when trying to print. i tried reinstalling drivers. the last time i printed something successfully was before i installed SP2.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Lets check if Windows Says SP2 is installed.

Go to start > run > type in sysdm.cpl

In the general Tab does it say Sp1 or Sp2

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
it says service pack 2 is installed.

btw while searching google i found this on the MS Site

http://support.micro...p;Product=winxp

i tried every option listed on there and it still aint working. i dont know what else to do but reformat.... :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I found this method
http://support.micro....com/kb/875355/

Also Found this linkhttp://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm
Has a lot of information about SP2 and troubleshooting it.