Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen of Death?

• Please log in to reply

BazMan

BazMan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

My parents computer just seems to have gone kaput! It was knocked very slighty and the thing just went off. When turned back on the monitor is completely blank and the computer doesn't even start to load up. The monitor is working fine and power is getting to the PC (the lights are on and the fan is whirring) but nothing else happens.

The power cable was slightly loose so i'm wondering whether something has shorted. Is it likely to be the HDD?? At the moment we can't do anything at all with it. Any help or comments would be most appreciated.

Cheers
BazMan

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Before touching anything inside the computer ground yourself from static electricity by touching the case.

Try reseating the pci cards, check all connectioms to motherboard are tight, Check power connections to drives are tight, check ide cables from drives to motherboard, check memory is seated correctly.

Do you know what these things are?

If you need these explained better post back.

Rick

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
possably the graphics card has become unseated i dont know because im not sure on the manufactorer or anything but on some cases they dont use screws to secure pci\agp devices but clips so im thinking if this is the case the movement of the case could have cause the monitor cable to pull out the graphics card slighty.

candiedRAM

candiedRAM

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Erm, Rick?

Hi! I'm having almost the exact same problem as BazMan, but since he didn't reply to your message I'm a little lost!

I think I get the general drift of what you're talking about, I've opened up my desktop and checked connections, but not the laptop in question.

So I was wondering if you or someone else could give me more information about reseating the components you mentioned as well as checking the connections.

I assume this is just a matter of making sure that everything inside the computer's gut is fitted in tightly, but I want to make sure before I go screwing around with hardware, an area I am not comfortable with.

Thanks!

BazMan

BazMan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Cheers for the advice so far. I've checked everything inside the case and it all seems to be in place correctly. It's the first time I've had a computer apart so didn't want to play around to much. Took out the memory then put in back in and still nothing works. I think the thing might still be under warranty so hopefully the company will take it back and give it the once over. I doubt it's something I can fix anyway but thanks for the help.

candiedRAM

candiedRAM

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ooo, bad luck BazMan. :tazz: I had better luck with mine. I either managed to resettle something with what I could get apart (I hope I never really have to open it up - my desktop is much easier to pry apart) or it was a water condensation problem. Anyway, my computer's working normally again.

Your computer's inards weren't slightly damp, were they? I looked and looked and the only two possibilities I found were the one Rick mentioned and water condensation, which will resolve once the computer dries out.