Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

VPN help

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
hey guys,

i'm a learn-as-i-go network admin for our small non-profit organization. My manager asked me this morning to look into VPN for our network. I've used it before at a previous job, but it was already setup and i just had to follow instructions to use it. I had no part in setup/maintenance of it.

i've been reading all morning on vpn's vs vnc clients such as OpenVPN and TightVNC but i am already in well over my head. Is there someone around here that can help a me get started in setting up a vpn?

the best solution for our needs i think at this point would be a routed VPN as opposed to a bridged VPN. which is basically software-driven VPN vs hardware-driven VPN, right?

I just don't want to open our network to the net by using a vpn that can be easily hacked but at the same time is simple to use.

I've been playing with WinXP's Remote desktop and can connect internally to another workstation and have also been able to connect using TightVNC as well. can i get those to work externally? Our setup is 5 workstations networked without a dedicated server. All workstations are running WinXP Pro Sp2.

But thats as far as i've gotten. thanks in advance for your help!

feel free to pm instructions as well if security is an issue.