Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Create a Malware Honeypot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PacketLoss

PacketLoss

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok, this is strange I know. But I want to create a honeypot for Malware.

Why?

Well, as an IT professional, I've always considered my skills at removing malware to be weak. I've always found it easier to simply reload the machine than to deal with the hassles of cleaning the machine. But that has become more and more difficult for me to do. A lot of the people I try to help are very reluctant to let me reload the machine - and I'm getting tired of it too. Besides that, some of my helpees are still running Windows 2000 and of course have lost their CDs and I can't re-install that OS with the CD. So what I want to do is setup a machine that is an easy target for infestation and then use the tools and advice from here and other places to get better at the cleaning process.

The problem is that making a hackable computer is easy - getting it infected with "comet cursor " and others without intervention is almost impossible. So can someone advise me as to the quickest way of getting a machine REALLY infected?

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
So let me get this straight. Rather than take on the free training provided here, you want us to help you set up a machine so that you can get infected. Then you want us to help you clean said machine so that you can learn how we do it. This sound about right?

This is not strange, its the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Ps, just a few things. Tell your friends to come here for trained help. We wont format their machines as a first step. We don't help folks with illegal copies of windows, so you lose your CD or cant update due to that loss, we cannot help them and we wont help you help them.

The simple answer to your query is no. No way, not in a million years. Never.