Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What are the differences between PC5300, PC5400, and PC6400 notebook m

• Please log in to reply

bagels

bagels

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm on my way to buying larger and superior memory for a Vista upgrade. My Dell notebook runs with an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 CPU.

Looking at NewEgg, I see three options. I can choose between "DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)," "DDR2 667 (PC2 5400)," or "DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)." In terms of maximum compatibility and speed with my system, and notwithstanding cost, which of these three is the most superior buy?

Advertisements

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Maybe you could post with your laptop model number, then (speaking for myself) I could recommend some part numbers with relative certainty.

bagels

bagels

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's the Dell E1505. Let me know if you need any more info.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Anything over DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) will just be down clocked because your laptop doesn't support frequencies any higher.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 May 2007 - 12:15 AM.

adorableedgar

adorableedgar

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Anything over DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) will just be down clocked because your laptop doesn't support frequencies any higher.
James

hey i'm building a pc for the first time and i googled this same question and came back to this friendly site, now my questions are how do i find out what the frequency of my system is?

you said "anything over DD2 667 (PC2 5400) would just be down clocked) does this mean that you can actually put any variation of pc2 5400/6400, their performance will just be limited to the frequency of you system?

also, if a mobo has DD2 DIMM slots (since every motherboard specs i have read say DIMM followed by Dual Channel im now assuming that if it says DIMM it's dual channel, please correct me if i'm wrong) i can put in a set of dual channel DDR2, however can i put in two regular sticks of DDR2 that are non-dual channel into a set of dual channel slots?

anyhelp would be appreciated thnx in advanced

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Next time feel free to start a new topic, this thread is quite old now. It's also talking about laptop RAM, which is marked as SO-DIMM.

A simple test you can run online is at http://www.crucial.com/ Run the scanner and it will return with results on what type of RAM you have and what upgrades are available. You don't necessarily have to purchase their RAM, although Crucial do make good RAM, but just take down the information that you need.

If you are building a PC and don't have any parts yet, then the RAM specifications you need to know will be listed under the motherboard specifications. If you can't find it, post the motherboard make and model here and we'll help you.

Cheers

Troy