Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bizarre Error Messages with Office 2003

• Please log in to reply

Texas_Ag11

Texas_Ag11

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I am having some weird problems with my Office installation. Recently, an Automatic Update for Office 2003 and Office XP appeared on my computer. I asked Windows to download the items and most of the updates could not be completed. I read a few articles about a disconnect regarding having Office XP and Office 2003 installed on the same machine. I uninstalled Office XP as the article mentioned and all but one of the updates successfully downloaded. The one that would not load was a Junk Email Filter Service update. I could never get it working. I looked around and one of the suggestions was to uninstall Office 2003 and reinstall. Since then, Office 2003 will not reinstall sending the error message " Installation ended prematurely because of error". Since I use Office 2003 a lot and could not get it reinstalled, I did a system restore to yesterday. That did not fix the issues. Now whenever I open an office program I get a "configuring Office 2003 screen" and Word, Excel and Outlook will not load. Outlook gives another weird message as well about a mapi32.dll being corrupt. I tried doing the System scan which found nothing. I also tried copying the Office 2003 CD to my hard drive and reinstalling. That also has not been successful. Any ideas here?

Thanks in advance.

Blair

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Texas_Ag11!

Here are a couple of things to try:

Repair mapi32.dll
See link for information on repairing mapi32.dll.

Rename mapi32.dll, allow Outlook to reinstall
See MS Article 926196
  • Quit Outlook.
  • Click Start, Search, and then click Files or Folders.
  • Type Mapi32.dll in the Named box.
  • In Look In, click to select My Computer, and click Find Now.
  • Right-click to select Mapi32.dll in the search results list.
  • Click Rename, type Mapi32.old, and press ENTER to accept the name change. If there are multiple copies of Mapi32.dll in the list, rename each.
  • Close the Find Files window and start Outlook.
When you start Outlook, it checks for the existence of necessary files. In the case of Mapi32.dll, if it is not present at startup, Mapistub.dll is used. If for any reason Mapistub.dll cannot be found, Setup automatically attempts to replace both files.

NOTE: When you start Outlook and receive a prompt that files are missing, click "Yes" to allow Windows Installer to replace them.

If the above don't fix the problem, see MS Article 315995.

Texas_Ag11

Texas_Ag11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
None of those options worked for me. The fix mapi routine really does nothing that i can tell. I run it, but no completion message is created. The second option I have tried a few different ways and it still says it is corrupted. I'm starting to think I need to just uninstall the Office 2003 version and create a totally new version, perhaps an upgrade.

Thanks for any other help you might be able to suggest.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, that's not good.

If you want to try one more thing, here it is. Create a new Windows User Account. Be sure to assign it to the Computer Administrator security group. Reboot and log in with the new User account. Try to install Office 2003. Did it work? If so, we can copy all the settings and files/documents from your old User account to the new User account.