Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Msiexec.exe error

• Please log in to reply

kdmems12

kdmems12

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I was attempting to reinstall Office 2000 when I receive a message stating that msiexec.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. I've attempted to download an updated windows installer, I've unregistered and then regserver with no luck. I'm using XP professional which I've had Office running before. Any ideas? Thanks

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
is the installer running? have you checked your dcom permissions

kdmems12

kdmems12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I don't beleive that the installer is running, I looked at the processes and didn't see it. I'm not sure what the dcom permissons are, I think that you're referring to going into the Component services and seeing if the windows installer is started, it is started and set as manuel, is this what you asked?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
admin tools services look for installer local security policy local policy's security options

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
any anti virus software running at the time?

kdmems12

kdmems12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I checked and the permission is set for administrator, which is me.

kdmems12

kdmems12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes on the anti-virus, AVG and Avast, I've also restarted after going to msconfig and deselecting everything and tried it still with no luck.

kdmems12

kdmems12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I ran sfc /scannow and it seems to have corrected the problem, I've been able to install some programs without the msiexec.exe error, so all is good. thanks