Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Overheating or PSU causing System Freezes?

• Please log in to reply

bettyhills

bettyhills

• Pip
  • 5 posts
The Problem: System freezes running in Windows XP SP2, also in Safe Mode, and in DOS. Everything stops but the monitor display stays visible exactly where it froze. The system does not respond to the keyboard, mouse, or CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot. It can only be turned off by holding in the power button. Then on again the same way.

Unsuccessful Fixes to date since last June include a new mobo, new processor firmly seated, new primary hard drive, new memory, two clean re-installs of the WinXP OS. Drivers are up to date. The system is firewalled and virus protected. All the fans are spinning.

Questions:Forum posts suggest overheating. If the fans are running and the CPU is new, is overheating the likely issue? To test the overheating theory, I removed the case and have a small room fan blowing in air. So far, only one (disappointing) system freeze has occurred since the remedial breeze. If overheating IS the problem, and the fans are functioning, how best can I cool the PC?

Other posts suggest a failing Power Supply. I can replace the existing Hipro HP-D25737F3R 250W unit with the highly-rated FSP Blue Storm II 500W ATX PSU if the PSU is likely the problem. Can a failing PSU cause system freezes? Does a failing PSU contribute to overheating, or is the issue insufficient power to run the components?

Any other suggestions/leads will be most welcome. Very important: Can anything else cause the described system freezing behavior?

My setup: HP Pavilion AMD Athlon64 3200+, Salmon K8S-LA Mobo, 2GB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM, Samsung 160GB and Seagate 300GB HDDs, WINXP SP2.

Advertisements

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Well the power Supply at 250w is very low wattage for these days so I would replace it to at least a 400w.

Do you know what the CPU (processor) temperature is when running things....you can use this free utility:
Try this free utility to see how warm your CPU is SpeedFan

Has the heatsink been checked for dust and have you replaced the Thermal paste would be another place to check...as the heat transfer may have problems.

Video card can cause a freeze also...not sure if you have onboard or slot Video card but either way re-install the drivers for them and check for update drivers on the manufactures site.

Trial and error I'm afraid but you'll get there.

Edited by Bonk, 26 May 2007 - 04:13 AM.

bettyhills

bettyhills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The heatsink has been checked for dust and Thermal paste is replaced.

Drivers are reinstalled.

Can anything else cause the described system freezing behavior?

I will try SpeedFan, but if it says the CPU is too hot, what is the cure?

TIA

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
It sounds like bad RAM settings to me like wrong timmings or speed. Make sure that your CPU isnt overclocked at all. I would recommend getting a more powerful power supply. Is your computer stock and has no added parts or modifications?

bettyhills

bettyhills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Speedfan shows the temps low on all components. The 2nd drive and memory are upgrades, added in hopes of stopping the system freezes. The new motherboard and new master hard drive are new - same reason. None had any effect. System still freezes.

The replacement CPU is set up exactly as it was from the factory. The bios, all drivers, and WinXP are up to date.

Thank you for the additional ideas. How do I check Ram setting, timings, or speed?

Edited by bettyhills, 26 May 2007 - 10:46 PM.