Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe error and complete computer death

• Please log in to reply

abomb2121

abomb2121

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Dell with the Windows XP operating system. The other day, I changed my modem (bellsouth) and all of the sudden, I started getting popups. I'm pretty sure the new modem has nothing to do with it, but I thought I'd mention it. I got tons of popups, so I attempted to install and antivirus program or two. By the time they were installed, my computer was completely going haywire.

I restarted the computer so the anti-virus would take effect; I got to the sign in page, signed in, and after about 5 seconds, I got a blue screen and could do nothing but turn my computer off. This happened over and over. I tried booting in safe mode, etc, but it kepting happening. So I tried booting with the last settings that worked, and all of the sudden I can't even get to the login page; after the blue DELL sign shows up and it attempts to load, I get an error called lsass.exe. My only option is to hit 'OK' for the error, and when I do, it restarts my computer.

I spent a few hours on technical support with Dell and we went through many things, trying to reinstall windows XP. After many failed reinstalls, they transferred me to an 'advanced technician.' Every time I would attempt to reinstall XP, it would say something like 'Unable to detect drives' after the 'successful' reinstallation when the computer tried to load Windows. So we ran a diagnostic check and Drive 0 passed, drives 1-3 and 5 were not there, and drive 4 could not be tested (it was my cd/dvd rom drive I think).

We went through the setup menu (f2) and the f12 menu with no luck on either. Tomorrow the technician is going to try to walk me through dismantling my computer to connect the drives that are not being detected. I'm hoping there's a similar way and that you kind folks could help me out.

PS: I read through the lsass.exe thread pinned at the top but the situation seemed different than mine; I was never asked for a password or anything, it just simply restarts the computer and won't let me get past it.

Advertisements

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
A good explanation of this problem.

http://www.computerh...es/ch000913.htm

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
so you dont have a xp cd ? oh i just senn where no drives are being seen by your pc

Edited by krmooo, 25 May 2007 - 11:11 PM.

abomb2121

abomb2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

so you dont have a xp cd ? oh i just senn where no drives are being seen by your pc

I have the CD and it RUNS the CD but when it says it's loading Windows it says that no drives are being read. The CD ROM drive was the one that diagnostics could not be run on.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
can you go n to the recovery console?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
does your bios list and recognize the hard drive?

abomb2121

abomb2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

can you go n to the recovery console?

I can go to the recovery console but when i try to run it it says that no hard drives are being read and that it must close, so I have to hit F3 to close it.

I'm not sure if the BIOS is reading it, as I'm not quite sure what that is, but I did a diagnostics test and my hard drive passed.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
when you power up your computer your see a message saying to press f1 or delete to enter set up depending on the pc maker. since you own a dell i think its delete. that will get you into your bios an from there you can see whats what as to your pc listing all the hardware

abomb2121

abomb2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can get into the setup menu via F2, but I'm not sure what BIOS is or what I should be looking for.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok give me just a minute an i'll help you

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok start your pc press f2 once your there look for system info, system devices something named along those lines maybe even hardware devices. your hard drive cd drives etc hopefully is listed there.you can also change the boot order in here which we might have to do if the hard drive an other devices are listed if the hard drive is listed then this problem resides in windows. by any chance do you have your dell recovery cd's?

abomb2121

abomb2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

ok start your pc press f2 once your there look for system info, system devices something named along those lines maybe even hardware devices. your hard drive cd drives etc hopefully is listed there.you can also change the boot order in here which we might have to do if the hard drive an other devices are listed if the hard drive is listed then this problem resides in windows. by any chance do you have your dell recovery cd's?

I don't currently have access to my computer having the problems, but I think I remember going through and seeing the hard drive listed there. I have my Dell recovery CDs; the Windows XP reinstall disk and one for my Windows drivers and such.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
well if you would, it would be helpfull to just make sure its listed when you have the chance it might be easier to use the dell recovery application c d''s an start fresh i may be wrong but i think you can use that cd to do a fresh install without loosing all your stuff :whistling:

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You can do a freash install with those cds but you will loose data. You also can do a repair install to retain data but that is a last resort.

A repair install does not always suceed that is why i avoid using it if you have already attempted a repair install then your computer is pritty much lost becosue it should say starting setup each time you turn on your computer.

When you turn on your computer what do you get describe any errors or screens.

abomb2121

abomb2121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You can do a freash install with those cds but you will loose data. You also can do a repair install to retain data but that is a last resort.

A repair install does not always suceed that is why i avoid using it if you have already attempted a repair install then your computer is pritty much lost becosue it should say starting setup each time you turn on your computer.

When you turn on your computer what do you get describe any errors or screens.

When I turn on my computer it goes through the general loading screens but before it gets to the sign in page, I get an error box that pops up and says lsass.exe-System Error. Object name not found.

After that, my computer reboots. When I try a fresh install with the CDs by booting from a disk, it says that no drives are read, even though my hard drive has passed a diagnostic and the CD loads to a certain point. The point I can get to is either 'start windows XP setup now' (press enter) or go the recovery route by pressing r. Both of those options bring me to the screen that says no drives can be read.