Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BMP files and Incredimail Gifs appear to crash computer

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi, I am trying to help a friend who is experiencing a frustrating problem with his emails.

I am told that as soon as he opens an email from anyone using Incredimail, the moment the emoticons load and are displayed, his computer freezes and he has no option but to shut down and reboot. Apparently the same thing happens with emails that contain .bmp files, though the frequency of such emails is much less.

Has anyone here experienced a similar problem and can you suggest a remedy. Short of putting any friends who happen to use Incredimail on a barred list, there seems to be no easy solution.

I hope someone can help me help my friend,

Thanks, Roger B

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
does he use any non Microsoft imaging software?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have him download the file (save to disk)...then right click and one of your options is to scan with your AV..do it..then try to open it...

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi and thanks for the suggestions! I must apologize however as I totally misunderstood my friends problem and can now give more accurate information.

It appears his computer does not freeze or crash at all. He told me he has to 'reboot frequently' to work around his problem, and I wrongly interpeted this statement, sorry guys!

His problem seems to be that emails containing photos simply show a place marker and the wretched 'Red X', and that he apparently gets around this by rebooting and trying again. Not sure how this works though!

In answer to the first question, yes he does have "some imaging software on my pc but I do not use it because I do not know how to use it." I have a Belarc profile of his computer and the imaging software I can identify is as follows: HP Image Zone Express, MS Digital Image Standard 2006 Library, Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition, Arcsoft Photostudio, Arcsoft PhotoBase.

I believe that the files open OK when saved but the frustration is in not being able to see an email in its entirety without having to download and view seperately the attachments.

He also uses Norton AntiVirus 2005, Internet Security, SystemWorks 2005 Premier, AntiSpam, etc which I know seems to upset all manner of stuff!

Any suggestions please?

Thanks, Roger

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the bmps are being attached to the email...there is no work around for that...even clicking on view will download the attachment before opening it...

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi Happyrck,

I am not sure I have explained things as well as I might have. Please see the attached screen shot, showing the pictures in an email I have receievd and which shows how they are visible in the body of the email without actually downloading anything.

For Scott, there is a placeholder and 'Red X' where the images appear. This is what he is trying to correct,

Thanks,

Roger

Attached Thumbnails

• mail_screen.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
he probably doesn't have his e-mail set up for HTML..
HTML email uses the same language that's used to create web pages to format email. Almost everything you can do with a web page can be done in HTML mail - images, formatting, and so on....

go here for all the info

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Thanks Happyrck,

I went to the linked website, AskLeo, and see there is a lot to read. I haven't read it as yet, I just wanted to acknowledge your reply and let you know it is much appreciated. Off now to do some reading!

Thanks again, Roger