Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

turning Ordinary flash drives to smart drives

• Please log in to reply

darkcrimson

darkcrimson

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hey Is it possible to install some files into a ordinary usb flash drive and turn it into a smart drive. i've heard it's possible; is there any program that can do that?

Advertisements

leedownen123

leedownen123

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I believe your thinking of a U3 USB drive. You can't install u3 software on a regular USB, you must have a U3 USB drive. Here is a link to the U3 site (It might help you understand a bit more)
Click Here for U3 Site

U3 drives are close to the same price as regular USB drives.

Althought you can't put U3 technology on a regular USB drive, you can beef it up with USB applications and suites such as the PortableApps Suite.

Here's a link to the PortableApps Site:

Click Here for Portable Apps

Edited by leedownen123, 26 May 2007 - 07:24 AM.

darkcrimson

darkcrimson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
How do u work those portable apps anyway. When activated it states that it 's doning an ilegal operation

leedownen123

leedownen123

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I installed to USB drive, then removed drive, plugged back in and the PortableApps Menu came up automatically.
Note: It doesn't mean an illegal operation is being performed or breaking the law, it means the programs your running are conflicting with software drives (usually). Here an article that will give you some help on fixing your problem. It would be hard for me to help as the error message "performed an illegal operation" covers a wide range of problems.

Click Here for Article

A registry program such as Free Windows Registry Repair 1.1 (freeware) could probably fix your problem.
Here is a link to that program:

Click Here for Registry Repair Site