Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good ping test results; but SLOOOWWWW downloads

• Please log in to reply

JeffM

JeffM

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi everyone,

Is there any explaination on why I would have good ping times (less than 100Ms and no dropped packets) but yet whenever I go to download an actual file, it's REALLY slow? Like 5kb/sec? I called my ISP and they're not throttling my connection or anything either.

Is normal ping times but a really slow download speed for actual files a very uncommon thing? Any ideas on how to remedy would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Are you pinging the Server that you are Downloading from?

Run a speedtest

Post back with the results. Ping has a bit to do with speed but is not a accurate mesurement for how much you should get on your bandwidth.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Are you pinging the Server that you are Downloading from?

Run a speedtest

Post back with the results. Ping has a bit to do with speed but is not a accurate mesurement for how much you should get on your bandwidth.

Thank you for your reply.

The server I'm downloading from is not slow. I am slow.

However, the ping rates are good: all are less than 200ms. And no dropped packets.

How can this be?

Thanks again for your post.

Jeff

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
100-200 ms is awfully slow. With a good connection you get less then 1 ms.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Please preform the steps listed above in my previous post.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

100-200 ms is awfully slow. With a good connection you get less then 1 ms.

We must be thinking about two different things then.

This is what I'm speaking of...

http://i10.tinypic.com/4lp6vkh.jpg

You mean for each of your four returns, you're getting less than 1ms?

I find that hard to believe.

Kind Regards,

Jeff

Edited by JeffM, 28 May 2007 - 02:17 PM.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Please preform the steps listed above in my previous post.

Speakeasy says my download speed is 349 kbps.

Upload speed is only 35 kbps.

Any additional suggestions/tips would be most appreciated.

Thank you all.

Jeff

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

You wrote in your first post that during ping test you get less then 100 miiliseconds and that's good. I know only of only one ping test which is performed by: Start > Run > cmd > ping IP. The IP can be that of the router, DNS, another computer on the net and so on. If you do this, and if you have a good connection, you easilly get ping speed of: time< 1ms. If you do the ping test like I do and get 100-200 ms then it's unbelievably slow. In fact, I would expect it to be timed out and disconnect.

Now tell me please if we talk about the same thing.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

You wrote in your first post that during ping test you get less then 100 miiliseconds and that's good. I know only of only one ping test which is performed by: Start > Run > cmd > ping IP. The IP can be that of the router, DNS, another computer on the net and so on. If you do this, and if you have a good connection, you easilly get ping speed of: time< 1ms. If you do the ping test like I do and get 100-200 ms then it's unbelievably slow. In fact, I would expect it to be timed out and disconnect.

Now tell me please if we talk about the same thing.

Hi Skeptic,

Please accept my sincere apologies. I should have been more clear in my first post. I was actually pinging yahoo.com not my IP. It is pretty critical to be specific, of course, so again, I'm very sorry for that.

When I ping my IP I am getting <1ms like you too. So all is okay there.

Still really slow download speed, unfortunately.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for your posts. I appreciate your help.

Jeff

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Aside from downloading, is surfing normal? I mean, do you have any problem at surfing from one site to the other?

Is download always slow or is it when you download from specific sites. Download speed is heavilly dependent on the load on the servers from which you download. Sometimes, for example, downloading from microsoft updates can be slow, at other times it can be fast. Downloading drivers from Asus can take ages. Downloading with file sharing programs can be very slow indeed.

What you should do is approach your service provider again and ask him to run a speed test to one of their dedicated sites. This will give you a clear picture about how close download speed is in relation to the speed that you pay for.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
349 kbps. Down is pretty good i would expect better performance then 5kbps.

How are you downloading this file. Through What method.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Aside from downloading, is surfing normal? I mean, do you have any problem at surfing from one site to the other?

Is download always slow or is it when you download from specific sites. Download speed is heavilly dependent on the load on the servers from which you download. Sometimes, for example, downloading from microsoft updates can be slow, at other times it can be fast. Downloading drivers from Asus can take ages. Downloading with file sharing programs can be very slow indeed.

What you should do is approach your service provider again and ask him to run a speed test to one of their dedicated sites. This will give you a clear picture about how close download speed is in relation to the speed that you pay for.

Hi Skeptic,

I download files through Firefox, using the "download statusbar" add-on.

My surfing speed is not always normal, no. It can be sluggish at times, too. But mostly it's downloading actual files which is very slow.

I also do not think the slowness is site-specific. Regardless of where I download from, it is slow.

My service provider is of no help, unfortunately. It's a small company and whenever I call them, they always say they have to look into something, to do more research and will call me back, but they never call me back, so I have to end up calling them back.

I would switch ISPs, but since I live in a very remote area, there is no other company which offers high-speed internet in my location. So I'm pretty much stuck with this, unless I ever move.

Sometimes I notice that if I don't reboot my computer, my download speed gets better, the longer the computer has stayed on (really strange, I know). It makes me never want to reboot again! :whistling:

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might want to go here ...at dsl reports...click on tweak test...you will have to join ..its free ..you will not get spammed by them...it will look at your settings and let you know if somethimg is set wrong...you could also test your speeds there...
after getting everything set as it should be be...record your download speeds...uninstall your download manager...then test your download speed again...
some of the download managers tougher than malware to remove...

Edited by happyrck, 29 May 2007 - 04:14 PM.

JeffM

JeffM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I have satellite internet, which only complicates things. Thanks a lot for the links, though. I see they have a special section for satellite internet folks. Unfortunately, none of those tweaks worked.

I have called my ISP probably 30 times about this issue. A tech. guy has visited and ruled out equipment problems, line of sight issues, etc.

Thanks again for your help, guys. Any additional suggestions would be most appreciated.

Jeff

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
this little tidbit satellite internet would have been helpful right up front...