Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

USB Disaster

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My new usb memory pen - which works absolutely perfectly on both my laptop and my (new) computer at home - is doing some really quite strange things on my dad's computer:

When plugged in to a spare usb port on the back of the cpu, it is not recognised and the mouse and keyboard cease to work. In fact, the whole computer freezes and has to be just switched off rather than shut down.

When plugged in before booting up the computer, the monitor goes black and all action ceases half way though booting up.

I tried using the 'add new hardware' wizard - but of course it all seized up when I plugged the [bleep] thing in, so no luck.

There are only 3 word docs on it at the moment, and I'm sure any (unlikely) viruses in these would have been picked up by the other two machines. This computer is only just over a month old, and is running windows xp.

Any ideas? I'm completely baffled!

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
It seems to be the way ur dads computer reacts to it rather the way it reacts to the computer first of do u know all ports are working correctly with other devices then id go into the bios by hitting delete on post and then loading either setup defaults or optimized defaults and then saving and exiting see if this remodies it if not then maybe try using a usb extension cable if none of this helps then come back and ill look 4 other options.