Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot. blinking cursor with blank screen

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Frustrated05...please start your own thread....although your problems may seem the same ..there will be differences...after starting your own thread ..PM with a link to it and I will help you

Advertisements

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
happyrck:

If I were to buy an external HD

Do I just have to fire up puppylinux on my ill machine then plug the usb into my external and still work with puppylinux?

I'm looking at a 120gb external too. I hope there plug and play

The reason I want to get an external hd, is get everything off my ill comp put it on the external hd, delete all files on my ill xp, format , then re-install xp and add those files back into my new install of xp from the external.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

If I were to buy an external HD
Do I just have to fire up puppylinux on my ill machine then plug the usb into my external and still work with puppylinux?

yep..just have it plugged in when you boot up puppy...

The reason I want to get an external hd, is get everything off my ill comp put it on the external hd, delete all files on my ill xp, format , then re-install xp and add those files back into my new install of xp from the externa

thats a good plan....
you will have to reinstall most of your apps because they put hooks into windows...but the data itself is no problem...
as a added bonus ...you can keep backups of all your data on the external drive from now on...

Edited by happyrck, 03 June 2007 - 07:03 AM.

T W

T W

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am having the same problem on a Dell computer with Windows XP Professional about three years old.

The problem started after closing down the computer after hanging on a couple of emails in Outlook Express. When the computer rebooted it booted to the splash screen of Dell and then a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I have tried the repair feature of the Windows XP CD to no avail. When I went into the repair feature I was able to do a check disk and it stated that the drive was working fine. When I went into the setup it showed the drives and no apparent errors. I have disconnected everything from the back of the computer and checked to ensure cables, and power supplies on the motherboard were seated correctly.

I know that you have stated a few suggestions but none of these have worked thus far.

Please let me know if it is okay to bring up this similar item in this forum as quin8484.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :whistling:

Sincerely,

T W

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi T W, welcome to Geeks to Go! Yes we can help you with your similar problem, but please start a new thread. Also, feel free to mention that you were reading this topic (perhaps link to it) and you think your problems are very similar. Also, not necessary as you should be helped pretty quickly, but you might want to shoot happyrck or wannabe1 a pm saying that you have a similar issue (link to this thread) and would they please so very kindly like to help? Then link to your new topic also!

Good Luck! :whistling:

T W

T W

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
troy,

Thanks for clearing up the issue to start a new topic. Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. Being new to this forum, I appreciate the quick response to my initial question.

I did not mean to step on someone else's thread.

Sincerely,

T W

quin8484

quin8484

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Thats ok.

To update everyone: I bought a Beyond Micro 300GB external USB HD, mounted it with puppy, moved all my files (hda1) to that that external harddrive.

I then formated my ill computers drive to get rid of the bad crap. Re-installed XP downloaded updates brining me up to date with XP2, plugged in my external USB HD moved my files that I wanted to new windows install.

Everything worked fine I lost no files at all.

I'm sure someone else will wander onto this forum from a search engine about the blinking cursor on startup and can try these steps I did.

Thanks to :

wannabe1 troy and happyrck.

PROBLEM FIXED
:whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know that it all worked out...it can help someone else without us having to type anything ... :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The most important thing is you didn't lose your data!

Nice to hear we could help you!

Cheers :whistling:

hiddenmonk

hiddenmonk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
One simple fix to try before you get too far in troubleshooting is turn your machine off, unplug anything that connects to your computer via USB (I have not yet seen any instances where firewire port cause a conflict but you can disconnect them as well), and reboot your system.

It is a known issue that XP can/has developed conflicts with some USB configurations. Most common is when multiple stackable USB hubs are connected and then a flash drive is connected. In other instances t only takes the USB flash drive being connected to the machine.

This is a simple fix that in certain circumstances could save you some time. Happy hunting! :)

Advertisements

Katiek

Katiek

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Do you mean Puppy Linux 4.1.1

geekstocome

geekstocome

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Your system is just fine. Just remove the Keyboard / Mice and attach them again.
Boot again. Some pins on your MB have probably rusted - Just clean them once if required.

Julian Johnson

Julian Johnson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, first of all. I ran into that problem numerous times. all on toshiba laptops.

issue-bios boots fine, but just before the xp boot logo i go a blinking cursor that just seems to blink and blink, well, that's if you let it.. lol... but, my solution which is only a temp solution.. temp meaning.. all the laptops that i have performed this work around too have re-occured. Meaning the blinking cursor came back.. but, it usually depended on the user. some took a week. some a month, but all in all it gives enough time to save and backup your HD.
My solution is to simply over write the MBR code. I have used TEST DISK to do so. or download bootable R.I.P. linux. inside the partition tools is a live version of test disk. which will allow you to manipulate and repair your blinking cursor issue. Once you've overwritten your MBR code, simply reboot your machine and it will boot in to windows. woo hoo!!! no need to format your drive or recover with get data back...

Incubatorjones

Incubatorjones

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello All,
New to this forum but computer consultant for over 20 years.
Easiest fix for black screen with flashing with cursor = boot off a Windows XP CD
R for repair on the first screen
At the command prompt type fixboot and hit ENTER ("Y" to agree to perform command)
Then type fixmbr and hit ENTER ("Y" to agree to perform command)
Type EXIT
Reboot
It is fixed.

J

DCypher

DCypher

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I know it may be late, but it is also possible the NTLDR file in the root C:\ has become corrupt. Perhaps a virus? Try taking the file from another XP box and replacing the one you have. Worked for me.

Edit:

I also had the problem, ran fixboot and the mbr one to no avail, as well as a chkdsk. Replacing the ntldr is what fixed the problem.

Edited by DCypher, 27 April 2010 - 11:06 AM.