Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Mouse Issue

• Please log in to reply

STV0726

STV0726

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
This is a high quality, logitech mouse that is about 3 months old. It's brand new, and should not be failing. :whistling: Of course with technology, everything often does.

Today I was using my computer, and all of the sudden it got 'choppy,' as if there was a signal problem. Also, the range was decreased. At times, it would be so intermittent that it wouldn't work.

I tried changing the batteries, resetting and restarting it, cold boots, etc. Nothing is working.

I have four USB ports in my computer. The bottom two are the worst with the mouse. It barely works for some reason when I plug it into those. If I plug it into the top two, it is useable, still the range is bad.

All of these problems JUST started today. I have no new hardware, or software for the matter that would effect the mouse.

Before today, this mouse was so good, it would work across the room. Please provide some suggestoins.

Advertisements

TheQuij

TheQuij

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi,

The source of the problem might pertain to the reception the mouse gets at a given point. If so, there may be something interfering with the signal, preventing it from being sent.

Is there anything new that may have been turned on which interrupts the signal, or any foreign object that may have been placed in the room that could be absorbing it? In other words, is there anything in this situation today which differs from any other day? :whistling:

-TheQuij

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
No that's the thing - it just started randomly and I couldn't figure out the problem. I refuse to think it's a 'driver issue' as the mouse doesn't seem conflictish, it just suddenly had worse signal. Any other ideas? :whistling:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
TheQuij brought up a very important point which I also thought about immediately. When it comes to wireless many things can interfere. Not long ago we had a topic in which wireless router made lots of problems. Eventually the user found that the router was too close to the microwave.

I suggest that you try to use the mouse and the transmitter on another computer and see if it makes any difference.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also another issue to consider is that perhaps a neighbour has added a wireless network (or other similar scenario, just building on previously mentioned ideas here...) and is conflicting frequencies in this way...

To the point: are you able to change the channel with the mouse? My now deceased Microsoft wireless mouse had two different channels to use, so just an idea. Also, have you spoke to Logitech about it? It should be under warranty, do they give any decent support?

STV0726

STV0726

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I've tried the mouse on another computer in my house, on another floor, and still had a reduced signal.

We plan to return it, and/or call logitech. :whistling:

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

TheQuij

TheQuij

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Referring back to earlier on (and if you are still encountering the problem), I just recently bought myself a wireless a Microsoft "Laptop-Type" mouse. I use an IBM Thinkpad with two ports, and I found that when I plugged the receiver into the port, it didn't seem to work! I soon found that the interference came only in plugging in my external Harddrive. However, without it plugged in, the mouse functions properly.

I brought the mouse back to the store, and I bought another wireless mouse which has a receiver attached to the port by a wire, rather than being directly inserted. It works perfectly now.

I only really brought this up to suggest the idea that a USB device might be interfering with the signal that your mouse may/may not be getting.

-TheQuij