Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Display drivers not functioning properly"; now no display

• Please log in to reply

Timbydude

Timbydude

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I was playing World of Warcraft, which just today started experiencing random crashes, blaming a lack of DirectX9.0c and updated graphics drivers (both of which I had). It said that it couldn't use "3D hardware acceleration" whenever I tried to open it after it crashed (until I'd restart my computer where it would let me play once, crash, and then stop me from playing again in the same way). The game never had any issues before today; and I've had it for over 2 years.

In the midst of one of these crashes, a message came up saying something like "The Windows display drivers are not functioning properly. Please reboot and Windows will send data to Microsoft." Complying, I restarted. But upon doing so, no image appeared on my monitor. I heard the Windows start-up music, indicating that the computer was running, but nothing came up on the monitor. I made sure it was connected, and it was definitely connected perfectly.

I'm running Windows XP, by the way. My computer is a $5,000 Alienware, so I really want to make it work again. I understand that it will be very hard to work with this, since I literally have no way of adjusting the computer with an image (though if, somehow, you can tell me a series of button presses to fix it, that would work fine :whistling:).

Thank you very much; your help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
what about before windows loaded did you see anything? bios info? anything? was there even a windows logo?

Timbydude

Timbydude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
No, there was nothing. My monitor just showed a message (from it, not Windows) that said "Signal not detected" for maybe 1 second, and then it disappeared and there was just a black screen.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
would you happen to have a spare monitor? reseat your graphics card? see if the monitor is tightened to your card and the back of the monitor?

Timbydude

Timbydude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Well, I already tried another monitor; same thing happened. I could try reseating the graphics card, but judging from the circumstances, I really don't think a bad seating would instantly crash the computer and stop my display drivers all at once; it would probably be a gradual effect...

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
well perhaps it would be gradual but you never know... im just trying to troubleshoot here by offering suggestions are there any start up beeps when you power up your pc?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
do you have another graphics card?