Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Microsoft Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply

Compnoobie

Compnoobie

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Hi, I'm having some trouble with Outlook. First of all, I usually get a lot of emails and I don't want to keep them all on my computer. Is there a way to export emails to a DVD, so that I can open them later? For example, in categories like months, so that one dvd has all the january email, and etc. Also, it doesn't seem liek the junk email is working too well and I have over 1000 emails at times. I also receive duplicate emails sometimes during this process. Is there a way I can just delete all the duplicate email, using a freeware program, or at least some cheap shareware? Finally, do you think that I should make the switch to Mozilla Thunderbird? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Advertisements

Gumby©

Gumby©

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
You can export any part of your data from Outlook (i.e., Calendar, Email, Contacts, all or any) using the Export found under the File menu. If you just want to save your email monthly, you can select only the email folder but make certain you select 'include sub-folders' if you tend to sort email into different folders. You can also name the file you save it to, so you could save this month's email in a file called June2007. There are different file formats you can save it to, I tend to stick with the .PST which is the Outlook default format.

Regarding the dupilcates and junk mail, I'm not sure how Outlook handles that (I beleive it's got something to do with filtering which you can use to direct emails to different folders - which I use to direct downloaded emails from different email accounts into different folders). I have Zone Alarm installed (free) and it manages the junk for me. I also use PopPeeper (free) which checks all of my email accounts on a regular basis. It downloads the headers and then I can choose which emails I want to delete before I allow Outlook to download messages. That way, only valuable messages get downloaded. It might be a more convoluted process than you are looking for, but it works for me.

Gumby©