Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS error - 2 Websites not opening

• Please log in to reply

UBS

UBS

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I am not able to open 2 websites in both IE6.0 and Firefox 2.0.0.3. Sometimes yahoo search page opens up with links to that webpage and sometimes it just says Cannot find server or DNS Error Internet Explorer. I am not able to open the page through those links as well....it again shows me the DNS error. I used to be able to open those pages a few weeks back though.

I went to Help and Support Center from the start menu to Network Diagnostics. It showed DNS Server Search Order (FAILED).

Pinging 202.88.130.5 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Ping statistics for 202.88.130.5:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)

I have a cable internet connection connected via external modem. I would be highly obliged if you'd help me out on this.

PS. I have run a full system scan through Spyware Doctor, Yahoo Anti-spy, AVG 7.5 & Ad-Aware SE personal...all clean.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
click on start...run..type in ...cmd...press enter or click on OK...in the dos box type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter..
be sure you put a space between ipconfig and the /
type in exit
reboot

Edited by happyrck, 27 May 2007 - 06:30 PM.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the suggestion happyrck. I did what you had asked me to. Those websites opened up but the problem is that I'm not able to view other websites now which I was able to before.

NOTE: It still is showing DNS Server Search Order (FAILED).

Please help.

Thank You.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what sites can't you get to...banks or any kind of secure site or just any kind of site...

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
They were not any secure sites. Just normal sites. The problem is solved now.....automatically. I turned off my computer for a day and when I logged in, I could access the page. Don't know what had gone wrong.

I tried technical support department of my ISP but even they couldn't help....they all suck out here. Just wasted so much money calling them up.

Thank you for all your help. The flushdns you mentioned worked for 2 sites though.

Thanks once again. Take care.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I'm facing the same problem again. Don't know what's wrong. Now it's with some other websites. Please kindly suggest.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Lets try and see whether you have equipment related problems. In this step, we will allow the equipment to self-diagnose and resolve the problems.

If you suddenly lose connectivity over your High Speed Internet line, have a slow connection or are unable to browse the Internet despite indications that you are connected, it is possible that your modem is not communicating properly with the Internet network.

Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer

The above steps should take care of your problem

no joy then try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I did both but those sites are still not opening. What next? Please suggest.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...click on start...run...type in cmd...press enter
at the dos prompt..type in netsh winsock reset catalog press enter

reboot
no joy
Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer ...unplug router and modem

Power up the modem first and after it gets initialized and all the lites are steady..
power up the router...after all the lites are on...
power up the computer...try surfing the web...
no joy..

click on start...type in ..cmd..press enter...at the prompt ..type in ..ipconfig /all .. press enter
tell me what it says

Edited by happyrck, 05 June 2007 - 06:52 AM.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I did what you told me to. Now my firewall has stopped working. As soon as I connect to the net, the firewall gets deactivated and shows an error when I try to activate it.

It says: An error occurred while starting Firewall. This operation returned because the timeout period expired. (1460). U se AVG 7.5 firewall.

By the way I have a static IP address.

Please help. I hope it's not a big problem.

Advertisements

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
My windows firewall settings cannot be accessed either.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

By the way I have a static IP address.

I bet thats your problem..try setting TCP/IP to auto
go here for the how to...

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
If I set my IP to auto, I won't be able to get connected to the net. My ISP has given me a unique IP address only through which I can get connected to the net.

My firewall is still not working. It stopped working after I did this:

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

As soon as I connect to the internet, my firewall stops working. Please, could you help me get back my firewall? I'm starting to get panicky here. Thank You.

UBS

UBS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I did a system restore. My AVG firewall is working fine now but when I go to the Windows firewall in control panel, it says
Due to unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows firewall settings.

Even when I deactivate my AVG firewall, it says the same thing. Please suggest.

Thank You.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nothing we did had anything to do with your firewall...

My ISP has given me a unique IP address only through which I can get connected to the net

if your isp gave you a static ip address then you should contact them and explain your connection issues