Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some Video Files Crash Explorer

• Please log in to reply

Ali_R

Ali_R

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi All,

I apologize for posting this type of topic again, but I was unable to find a solution for my problem after doing a search of this forum, even though there are several topics with the same or similar problem. The solutions offered in them didn't help me.

When I highlight some (not all) wmv files, I get a DEP error and Explorer crashes. I was not having the problem with the very same files last week and it's only happening with newer wmv files. It's not happening with any other file type either. I've created the files myself, so I know it's not that any of them are infected with a virus...not that I can actually check them because Explorer crashes if I touch them.

I managed to copy one even though I get an error message when I do it. I was able to test it on my husband's machine and didn't have the problem with that machine when I highlighted the file. That leads me to believe that it's my machine and not the files that are the problem. I've run a virus scan and found nothing. I've used spyware removal software and did find one thing, but I removed it via the software and it still didn't resolve the issue.

I disabled DEP for Explorer, but that didn't work either.

Could someone help me fix this? It's about to drive me mad.

Advertisements

Ali_R

Ali_R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I attempted to use system restore to resolve the issue, but that did nothing. I'm sure that's no real surprise. I suspect it might be an old version of a codec that's incompatible with the newer version of the videos I've created, but I've no idea what to do about it. I don't know how to find the codec and remove it. I'm fairly new to working with video files and don't know much about it yet.

Is there someone here who can help me? As I said, I read the material available in this forum (inlcuding the pinned thread), but the answer was not in any of the threads I've read here. If I need to generate a Hijack This log, I will, but I hate to post all that if it would just be a waste of your time.

Thanks.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Hi,

Welcome to GeeksToGo!

Let see what we can do to protect your program. What have you done to try to correct the problem?

May I suggest a system repair?

Paulcomputerman

Edited by paulcomputerman, 27 May 2007 - 07:54 PM.

Ali_R

Ali_R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi. Thank you for the welcome and the response.

I've done the following to try and correct the problem:

Disable DEP for Explorer and Windows Media Player
System Repair
System Restore

Since diabling DEP didn't work, I enabled it again. I didn't want to leave my computer at risk by having it disabled when it didn't solve the problem.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Okay,

There are a few things that sound "not right." Let me refer you to the malware forums. If they clear you, you should come back to this forum if the problem still persists.

Paul

Ali_R

Ali_R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok. Thank you. Should I just repost the exact same things there that I posted here and tell me you refered me to that forum?

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
Sure, that is fine.

Just say you were referred to the Malware Removal forums and that you would like some assistance. Then please repeat the problem. REMEMBER: If the problem persists, please come back again.

Paul

Ali_R

Ali_R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok. I will do that. Thank you.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Ok. I will do that. Thank you.

No Problem.

Ali_R

Ali_R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
So far, nobody has helped me in the Malware Removal forum. I've done some more research and I think it could be due to a codec I installed when I was trying to convert a divx file to dvd. I've uninstalled all the software I had installed, but I can't figure out if the codec was left behind or not. I installed 2 different things. One was AVIcodec v1.2 Build 113 Beta and the other was GSpot v2.70a. They were not installed at the same time, though.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

So far, nobody has helped me in the Malware Removal forum. I've done some more research and I think it could be due to a codec I installed when I was trying to convert a divx file to dvd. I've uninstalled all the software I had installed, but I can't figure out if the codec was left behind or not. I installed 2 different things. One was AVIcodec v1.2 Build 113 Beta and the other was GSpot v2.70a. They were not installed at the same time, though.

You could be right, as any computer problem can start with anything. Please give the malware team a few days to respond.

You can always uninstall the codec and see if this corrects the problem. If it does correct the problem, please tell us.

Paul

Ali_R

Ali_R

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok. I will try to be patient. For now, I disabled the thumbnails for videos in the file details area. That stopped it from happening, but it's not the root of the problem because I've always had it set that way and not had a problem until last week.

I would uninstall the codec, but I have no clue how to do that. Do you know where I can find the codec and how I can uninstall it?