Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse Malfunctioning, may need new one.

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I've had my Logitech Mx518 for nearly 2 years now. However, recently, it has started being very annoying. Randomly, I hear the USB activation/deactivation sound and then the mouse will stop working, then I have to take out the USB plug and replug it in for it to work. This only happens when I am gaming (Counter-Strike). But as you can see it is very annoying. This happens from once every minute or to once every half hour, it is inconsistent. I do not know what is wrong, I tried wiping the lens with my shirt but that doesn't really help much. Do I need a new mouse? If so, please give me some recommendations on good deals, thanks.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
Here's a couple of things you may want to try :

First, go to the Run command on the Start menu & type devmgmt.msc <click OK>
In device manager, locate the USB Controller branch & expand it. Right click on the USB Root Hub entry & select Properties. In the Power Management tab, clear the 'Allow computer to turn off this device' checkbox.
If you have more than one USB Root Hub listed, then repeat this procedure for all of them

If that makes no difference then try connecting the mouse to a different USB port. Be aware that USB ports come in pairs - i.e one controller for every 2 ports. This means that if you move the mouse to the USB port which is next to the original port, then there's a good chance that you're still connecting it to the same USB controller. Try moving the mouse to a different controller altogether.
eg if you have 6 USB ports on the rear of the computer & the mouse is connected to port 1 or 2 for example, try moving it to port 5 or 6
1 [....][....][....] 5
2 [....][....][....] 6

If your mouse is currently connected to a non-powered USB hub, then try connecting it directly to a USB port on the computer instead.

If the mouse is currently connected to a front USB port, then simply try moving it to any rear port.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Thanks for helping me.

I am trying your first suggestion, I will let you know after a while if the problem comes up again, or if it does not.

Thanks a lot!

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Okay, it is still doing the same thing, I will try your next steps in a while.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Oh, I didn't read your 2nd suggestion earlier, but I have already tried that. I have 4 USB ports on my laptop and I have tried all 4.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ah, so this is a laptop? Helps if you mention that at the beginning! :whistling:

Can you tell me the make & model of the laptop please? Can you also confirm whether you have SP2 installed (assuming you're using XP of course). If you use a different OS, let me know

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I use XP, I'm not sure how to to check if I have SP2 installed. But I probably do.

I don't know what the make and model number means, but I have an Acer Aspire.

Let me know if there is anything I else I must tell you, thanks.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
To check if SP2 is installed, right click on My Computer, select Properties, then click on the General tab. You should see the XP version & any service packs you may have, listed there.

Acer Aspire is the make & type of laptop. The actual model number may be written on the laptop near the keyboard or screen, failing that, it will almost certainly be printed on a label on the underside of the laptop. It will probably be a 4 digit number (or 4 digits plus one letter).

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
There is nothing listed about Windows XP under My Computer > Properties.

It is an Acer Aspire 5672WLMi

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
The problem has gotten even worse, it won't let me rest 5 seconds without replugging in the USB cord, please help.

Advertisements

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Anyone?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Sk0rch

Sorry - been away all weekend. It does sound like it may be the mouse itself thats at fault. Do you have any way of testing the mouse on a different computer though, just to make sure. Or, can you get hold of another USB mouse to try on your laptop?

Tim'A

Tim'A

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Yea, I'm using my laptop as a desktop and it really sucks because of the very small amount of power to the USB's. You may find it will work with a desktop better. Do you have anything else that could be drawing power from your USB?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yes, I also have a fan plugged into the USB, my laptop overheats a lot. I think it actually may be my laptop because occasionally my fan stops working also, and then if I switch USB ports, it starts. But I figured that to be because it is on all the time.

Anyways, I called Logitech and apparently I have a 3 year warranty so they are sending me a replacement mouse, thanks anyways.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, cool. Let us know how you get on with the new mouse