Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse Malfunctioning, may need new one.

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
The mouse came in the other day, works great.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Fantastic. Thanks for letting us know :whistling:

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
The new mouse started doing the same problem again today. It will literally move for one second before it stops, tried all the usual stuff. This is really frustrating, I thought the problem was gone for good.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Do you remember what happened before it started doing it again? Like did you install a program, or change some settings, or anything like that?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
That's what makes me mad, I have no idea how it started doing it. I wasn't home all day, and I let my little brother play Counter-Strike, and he calls me and says the mouse isn't working, so I told him not to touch anything, when I get home, it will move for literally a split second once I plug it into the USB drive, then it will stop.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Ask your brother if there was anything else he did at all, anything. If he remembers anything interesting happening, tell him you need to know what because it might help you fix your problem.

So you have 2 USB devices - a fan and your mouse. These are in use whenever you are on your laptop, is that right? Is the laptop connected to the wall or running on battery power when the problem occurs? Or both?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
the laptop is connected to an outlet. sorry for not responding, but yeah, the new mouse still doesn't work, however for the last 2 months i resorted back to my old mouse, which had started working normally, however, for the last couple weeks the old mouse will randomly go out for a split second or two, and most of the time it adjusts the sensitivity too, right after it turns back on, so i have to higher the sensitivity again ( there is a sensitivity adjuster button on the logitech mx518). but yeah, the new mouse still doesnt work, like i said before, right when i plug it in, i can move it for a second, then it goes out.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
ive had my mx518 for over 2 years and starting last summer mine is randomly going out.. and it will start back up in like 3 seconds but then it will change it to a lower sense to.. it pisses me off, messes me up so much =\, anyone else have this problem?

i called logitech over the summer and they gave me a new mx518ree ut the new one doesnt work at all, it just turns on for a second and shuts off, but it works fine on my bros laptop, so i dont know if its my laptop or i need to update drivers or whatever, any ideas?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You posted this in June

Yes, I also have a fan plugged into the USB, my laptop overheats a lot. I think it actually may be my laptop because occasionally my fan stops working also, and then if I switch USB ports, it starts. But I figured that to be because it is on all the time.

It cold be that you have "draind" the usb port and that it has a problem supplying power for the usb devices. You posted that the fan allso is giving trouble some times.
See if you have a friend with an active usb hub that you can borrow. This is a usb hub that connects to the computer but it also has a connecttion to the power so that it supplies its own power. The different devices that you connect to it get the power from the hub and not the computer. This way the computer only really needs to suply power for the data to the hub.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Thanks for replying. Yes, that may be a possibility, I did not know that one usb port out 4 can drain the power of the other 3, is that possible? If so, then that may be the case. I doubt I have a friend with a usb hub, so thats basically an external usb port, correct? Is there a way I can just buy one from best buy or something and then test it out, and then if I determine that the problem is what you say, then I will keep the usb hub, and if the problem persists, i can return it to best buy, right?

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
You can try going to a computer repair shop and ask if htey can hook you up to check it out.
Just make sure that the hub has its own power.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
So I was right for both my questions?

Also, today I tried gaming with the external fan unplugged, and just the mouse, and i experienced no problems at all, so that may indeed be the solution, but i cant be sure until more time passes by, because it may be that its just a good day for the mouse, because thats happened before too.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
From what I understand the usb ports supply 5V. The ports are connected to the same power supply. The electricity is connected directly to all ports, so if one device needs allot of current then it is actually taking it from the total supply. The max current is determined by the manufacturer so you can't alter it.
Give it a day or two and then you will have a better idea.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
yeah i was hoping that it was the problem, but now i dont think so, for 2 days i unplugged my external fan usb, so only the mouse was plugged in, and for 2 days it was fine, rarely ever shutting off, but today my mouse was shutting off like crazy, like at least once a round, so i guess that its not the problem, i dont know what it could be now =[

do you think i should try to external usb port with a hub having its power thing?

Edited by Sk0rch, 22 November 2007 - 06:22 PM.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
i called logitech, theyre sending me another mx518 lol, i guess they dont know that they had already sent me one, but the one they sent me dont work anyway so whatever. in the meantime i went to circuit city and bought a usb hub with an external power supply, so if it is indeed my laptop that is the problem then this should fix it.