Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Month! My clock knows what month it is but windows wont display

• Please log in to reply

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Windows (and all applications) has decided to deprive me of seeing date and time stamp's months!
I know it know what month my files (e-mail etc.) were created because when I sort them in order of date they all check out!!
I don't know what could be wrong (maybe a missing system file-or something in the registry?) so if you could help at all that would be great.
Thanks,
daffy_elmo

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
So if I understand correctly you do not see when you go into My computer the date and time when you right click on a file and go to properties?

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Yeah, if I go to properties it does display the date/month created (because it's displayed like: time, date, day, month), but when the date is displayed like this: dd/mm/yyyy, it just displayes "mm" instead of the actual month.

thanks

Edited by daffy_elmo, 31 May 2007 - 04:49 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Do you know what you changed before you started having this issue?
Have you run any registry fixing programs Lately?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I did find this tool To help you get it back but There has to be another answer

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Have you tried a system restore to before the problem occured?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go to kelly's korner in this link. Go to item no. 320. download and install the patch.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks for your help.
Bad news! none of the above worked.
My computer must have just cleaned up all previous restore points so at the moment the earliest one is today!
Yes I have run some registry cleaners but I'm not sure if it happend afterwards or if it was before. It's been about a month now so i'm not sure what did it.

If you could help further that'd be great!
thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For this you will need xp installation disk of a version similar to your installation. Insert the disk to the cd drive and go to Start > Run. Type sfc /scannow > ok. Let the process run to the end at which the dialog box will just disappear.

Is time and date are set correctly in the BIOS? Please check and set if necessary.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
My XP disc is a recovery disc that came with my computer so I don't think it works like one that you'd by from a shop.
The scanner tool wouldn't rcognise it, but it might just be that my CD drive is assinged to letter "w" in stead of "d". Do you think I should change it to "d".

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you click W in my computer and see the content of the cd then there shouldn't be any problem. How did it get the W letter?

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I'm using "d" as a subst drive for my download folder. So I used windows disk manager to change the letter. there's deffinately no problems with that, but some progs only look for "d" do I thought the scanner might have missed it.

Do you want me to try changing it to "d" (It won't be too much trouble).

It might be something to do with service pack 2 being installed on my computer. someone on this forum said that "sfc /scannow" doesn't work properly if you have SP2.

thanks for your time
daffy_elmo

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to change to D. The command works perfectly well with sp2.

daffy_elmo

daffy_elmo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Sorry it's been a while....
My mum won't let me on the internet so I have to do this at the library :whistling:
Anyway,
I changed my drive back to "d" then ran "sfc /scannow" and it worked fine. It didn't seem to do anything though :blink:
I did a restart and I've still got no month!?!

thanks for your help,
daffy_elmo

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Still researching this issue.

Are you still experiencing this problem?