Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk Defragmenter corrupted

• Please log in to reply

DarkGob

DarkGob

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Long story short, I clicked where I should not have clicked, and got a virus (Trojan Horse Generic4.qzn). I ran AVG and got rid of it, but it seems the damage was done. This is what defrag looks like now:

Posted Image

(Many menu options are also blank.)

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this, short of reinstalling Windows -- System Restore to the day before the infection, this tweak from this very board, and this (not my exact problem but I thought it was worth a shot). I've even tried getting some of the files defrag uses (dfrg.msc, some of the DLLs) from a friend and putting them in place of mine, but still no go. At this point I assume it's a registry problem, but I don't want to fiddle around in there without some guidance.

Reinstalling Windows is an absolute last resort for me, as I have a lot of stuff to back up.

Edited by DarkGob, 27 May 2007 - 01:56 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi DarkGob...

Click Start, then Run, type %systemroot%\INF and click "Ok". Locate and right click on the dfrg.inf file...choose "Install".

Does this help the problem?

wannabe1

DarkGob

DarkGob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nope...defrag is unchanged. Now that I think about it, that was another thing I tried before, which I forgot to mention.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 appwiz.cpl and click "Ok".

Any difference?

DarkGob

DarkGob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nope, the buttons are still blank.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would just like to recommend two things here:

1) You should go to the malware forum, follow all those instructions to make sure your system is clean, especially after your trojan infection:
<http://www.geekstogo...Log-t2852.html>

2) You could try using jkdefrag, I much prefer this defragmenter to the XP version:
<http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/>

I know this doesn't fix your problem, but once again, I do strongly recommend these instructions.

LoneRanger

LoneRanger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
..a good defragmentor i've personally used is AusLogics Disk Defrag. hope this helps.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
There are a number of problems that can affect the defragment program.

You might as well try a full system repair. This, a lot of the time, can correct the problem.

I see that this is a common problem for Windows XP.

A repair can be good for the computer. It can help repair problems you didn't know were even there.

Paul