Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Media Player Trouble

• Please log in to reply

Fly Girl

Fly Girl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've had this new laptop since christmas time and I've not had any problems with it until now. My Dad recently changed my virus cover from McAfee to Windows One Care and I have a niggling feeling that it is what is causing many of my problems.

Basically what happens is, I turn on my laptop and all is fine. I go away for a bit and return to my computer and suddenly I have lost all connection to my wireless internet with no hope of ever connecting again. One Care has been turned off!! Automatically!!! And Windows Media Player won't play sound on DVD and all my music files have an orange exclamation mark. Now this is all easily remedied by a quick reboot but then it happens again and again and its just a vicious circle.

Also the toolbar at the bottom of the laptop, ie. the one with the start button on...changes from the XP style to the old 98 looking style, you know the greyish coloured one? It'll flick to that and then back onto XP blue and then it'll just settle with 98 grey...it's very odd indeed.

I also go some creepy boxes pop up. Something about DrWatson...but it was in one of those Don't Send, Send boxes...and sometimes it says Win32 I think...those will pop up when I first start up the laptop.

Any ideas? :S I'm desparing.

Advertisements

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Have you done system restore to before the problems started?

Also changing from windows one care to other free/better antivirus possible.

Avast or AVG are good.
http://www.majorgeek...tion_d1968.html

Are you using a good firewall like Zone Alarm or Comodo?
http://www.majorgeek...wall_d5033.html

Hope this gets you started.

Fly Girl

Fly Girl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
To be honest I really don't know...what is system restore?

My Dad usually sorts this stuff out but he's as baffled as I am this time. I'd love to know what is turning my one care off every five minutes because my Dad and sisters have the exact same laptops using one care and the exact same wireless router...yet their one care remains on and they never lose their connection to the internet...

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
How was macafee uninstalled.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Wireless needs line of sight to work well, generally speaking, you may have a marginal signal that is getting interfered with by tv signal, wireless phone, etc. running nearby..

Do a system restore through the All Programs menu:

1.Click Start.

2.Point to All Programs.

3.Point to Accessories.

4.Point to System Tools.

5.Click System Restore.

6.Follow the instructions on the wizard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
You can help your computer by looking at these ideas.

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------

good luck

Edited by zbd, 27 May 2007 - 08:19 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm with tuxmaster on this one ...uninstalling McAfee and Norton can cause all sorts of problems...they both act ...as bad as ...if not worse than malware to get off your system without something going haywire..

Edited by happyrck, 27 May 2007 - 11:30 PM.