Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Various PRoblems When Turning On

• Please log in to reply

Killi

Killi

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
So for a while now I've been having some problems trying to turn my PC on.

Usually, for the last few months, when I hit the power button it will run fine, but then a black screen comes up asking me to choose between 3 different safe modes, last known good configuration and run windows normally.

No matter what i choose, Windows will eventually run correctly.

However, after choosing my option, a blue screen comes up...telling me a it needs to run a check disk, when I don't skip the check it will perform it for about 30 minutes, and then proceed to trun itself off. Upon turning the machine back on I must start the process again.

Therefore, most of the time I choose to skip the check disk.

However, Windows will not always fully load, as the machine shuts itself down (though the lights still remain green, leading me to have to hold the power button down for six seconds, then pressing it numerous times before it comes back on) at what seems to be random stages throughout the booting up process.

Eventually, after numerous attempts Windows will load. Once loaded everything runs perfectly.

I got used to this afte a week or so and it has been doing it for a few months, but as XP ran fine i carried on using it.

However, today, on choosing "run last known good configuration" I am presented with a dark blue screen, saying

STOP: c0000218 {Registary File Failure}
The Registary cannot load the hive (file):
\systemRoot\system32\config\SYSTEM
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not available

Begining dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

It will not get past this point, i have to turn the machine off via. the power button.
I have tried to boot with Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompts, Safe Mode with Networking, Last Known Good config. and normal.

I really need to use that PC so any light shed on the situation and help would be great.
Thanks!!!
.::KILLI::.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Killi...

Do you have an XP installation cd? The first thing I'd suggest on this one is to run chkdsk /r from Recovery Console...which is on the XP cd.

wannabe1

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I may add:

Adapted from Microsoft article 307545

This should not be attempted on xp OEM.

Error message: Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM or, at the end, instead of SYSTEM, you may see something else.

Repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation CD. If you don't have the CD try to borrow one.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

Type exit to quit Recovery Console. Your computer should restart.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hopefully it won't come to replacing the registry hives...I usually reserve that as one of the later options and then I like to verify that there is a valid restore point before I do it. It's a good suggestion, though...just a little early in the game. :whistling:

Try the chkdsk /r first...it may just get the machine started again.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I personally do not like that method of recovering the registry hives.

I use this method Recovering registry from snapshots

Killi

Killi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the help guys i ran chkdsk when i eventually got hold of an installation disk and XP boots now :whistling: wooo!!!

However, i think this may have created a problem once logged on to XP...i'll open another thread as its a different problem.

Once again, thanks for the help.

.::KILLI::.