Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC always faces this problem!

• Please log in to reply

jones24

jones24

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
So when i always try and right click on any harddrives located in my computer folder, the screen freezes then an error msg appears that dr watson debugging has encountered an error and needs to shut down. Then my toolbar freezes and i cannot access anything on it. SO i have to press ctrl+alt+del to access the taskbar and manually shut down the my computer folder and after that everything is fine.

Pls help me as to why this occurs. I am unable to access the properties function in my computers folder and am unable to perform one of the tweaks to improve my pc's performance.

Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jones24...

Does this happen if you select the folder (left click on it) then right click? In Task Manager, does explorer.exe show as using 100% of the CPU or close to it?

wannabe1

jones24

jones24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hi jones24...

Does this happen if you select the folder (left click on it) then right click? In Task Manager, does explorer.exe show as using 100% of the CPU or close to it?

wannabe1

Yes it happens either way whether i left click then right click or just right click straight away. No, currently only 2-3% of cpu is being used. Btw how do u tell which program is using which % of the cpu?

Thanks.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Download HDTune in my signature and give it a slow scan. See if everything comes up green.

jones24

jones24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Download HDTune in my signature and give it a slow scan. See if everything comes up green.

Hi i did the slow scan like u asked me to. And everything comes up green. No damage to my harddrive. So what's causing the problem?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello, we are going to run System File Checker, to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.

Click Start
Select Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the program, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows XP disc upon starting the scan. if this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.
Then rerun the scan. If this still asks you to put in your windows XP CD, and you do not have the CD (If you bought it preinstalled) post back for more tips, otherwise enter Windows CD.

Once the scan is complete:

Check your Windows Updates! After using the File Protection Service, you might need to reapply some updates.

Please reboot, and let me know if anything has changed.

Also, please rehide the protected files:My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
View
"Check" Hide protected operating system files.

jones24

jones24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OKay i did what u told me to and here are the results.

When i right click on it and move along the options, suddenly the screen blinks and the icons on the quick launch bar disappear. I am then told that windows explorer has shut down. After that dr watson postmotem debugger also has shut down. this time it is better as i can access the screen of how much harddisk space has been used. I decide to try this the second time and the original problem comes back., The my computer screen freezes and i need to close my computer from the taskbar.

I discovered a new thing though. If i right click on the dvd rom it will pause for a moment but then later nothing happens, windows explorer does not shut down and i can eject on check on the dvd rom's properities and not only this but i can do the same for all my other harddrives. It seems that if i do not want anything to go wrong i need to right click on my dvd rom first then let it pause for a while before i can access my dvd rom again and then after that i am able to acceess and right click on all my other hard drives without incident.