Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Do AM2 motherboards support Athlon 64 chips?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

I have a computer at home that I built myself about two years ago. I was one of the many people who were fortunate enough to get in on the Windows Vista beta, but ASUS hasn't release any Vista drivers for this motherboards SATA ports. So, when I boot to Vista, I am able to see the IDE drive I run XP from and I'm able to see the IDE drive I installed Vista to, but I am unable to see my SATA RAID0 HDs that store all of my data!

I figured I'd build a new system so started pricing parts the other day. When looking at Motherboards, I noticed the AM2 boards on Newegg say "AMD X2, AMD FX, and AMD Athlon". I assume this means they support older Socket 939 chips, but how can that be?

If they do in fact support older chips, I can just buy one of these newer motherboards and be back in business. If I'm not understanding something, I'll have to build the new PC.

My current motherboard is the ASUS A8V Deluxe and my processor is the AMD Athlon 64 3700+ single core processor running at 2.2 Ghz.

If I can put this processor in the new motherboard, I'll do that for now and get a new X2 chip in the near future.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Shame on Asus for not updating their chipset drivers for Vista.

AM2 and 939 motherboards are NOT interchangeable. You will either need to get another 939 mobo to use your existing CPU, or an AM2 mobo, a new CPU, and most likely new RAM (DDR2).

However, the good news is that AM2 CPUs and DDR2 RAM have never been cheaper.
1) Here's the retail version (with heatsink) AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ with the new low power Brisbane core (it's also very overclockable) for $69
2) Here's 2GB of DDR2 667mhz RAM for $58.
3) Finally, Here's an ASUS AM2 mobo that is very good as long as you don't need SLI for $105.

Then you can maybe sell your old mobo/cpu/RAM, or use it in another system with Vista or RAID.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Admin:

Thank you for the reply. I looked at the hardware you listed. It isn't the best equipment on the market, but the prices made my jaw drop. It may certainly be worth that price just to get going for now. I could use those parts in my current system to save a lot of time and money. I'm sure I have another tower around here somewhere that I can throw my old MB, Processor and RAM into.

Yes, I was surprised that ASUS hasn't released drivers for this mother board. Except for seeing my SATA Raid Stack, Vista ran fine on my current system.

Assuming I do build another system and don't use the parts you listed, I'm wondering if you (or someone out there) can tell me what the difference is in the FX chips and the X2s. I found 2 on E-Bay that that are comparable. The difference I saw - The voltage was slightly different and one is an FX while the other is an X2. Those are the only differences, yet the X2 chip is nearly half the price of the FX chip!! Wow. Wonder what I'm missing there. Before you posted those other parts, I was trying to decide between these two chips. They are the X2 5600+ and the FX-62.

Thanks,

Magus

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts

It isn't the best equipment on the market, but the prices made my jaw drop.

What can I say? I'm cheap!

Basically FX chips have unlocked multipliers, which is only important if you're serious about overclocking. They also generally have a bigger L2 cache (1mb -vs- 512KB), however the performance advantage of that is pretty negligible for every day tasks. Don't spend any extra money on FX. It's aimed at the early adopters with pockets too deep. :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
P.S. I recently built a system using the exact mobo, RAM, and CPU shown above. The CPU ran at 3ghz without even hardly trying. 3.0ghz clock speed equals an AMD X2 64 6000+, a $500 part (with a smaller cache).

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Admin:

So, I just read your last post and had a second look at that processor. It's only listed as a 1.9 Ghz. That's amazing if you were able to overclock by that much. I've never overclocked anything before so don't know how, but I'm sure there are websites out there with step by step instructions. I'll have to check that out. Hmm, if that's possible, I'll probably go with your hardware after all.

Oh, thanks for the information noting the differences in the FX and X2s. That's handy information.

Thanks,

Magus

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts

That's amazing if you were able to overclock by that much.

Please enjoy basking in my massive geek skillz. :blink:

:whistling: Just kidding!