Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!

• Please log in to reply

scarface1100

scarface1100

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I need a little help. I am not too computer savy & do not have too much experience with computer games.I recently bought FSX & I am very dissapointed that it does not work so well on my computer. It constantly freezes up,frame rate is terrible & my whole computer seems to lag when this game is running. I figured I had a good enough computer to at least play this game at a decent rate. If anyone can help me configure my computer & or the game so it will work,would be a great help...This game looks like it has great potential & im willing to do whatever it takes to get good performance from it.
I just bought my computer last year & all ive done was upgraded the video card.
here are my computers specs:
HP pavillion a1340n
640 intel pent 4(hyper thread enabled)
1.0 gb memory
250gb hard drive
nividia geforce 7300 gs(256mb ddr2 will also support 512mb turbocache)
windows xp media edition (service pack 2)
my physical memory available to windows at this time is 1,047,916 kb
local disk free space is 178 gb
-------------------------------------------------
When I installed the video card I did not make any adjustments, nor have I changed any settings on the computer out of the box.
Does my computer just not have enough power? Do I need to configure,adjust, update or setup anything? should I upgrade anything in my computer(video card, hard drive etc....)? I know my video card is not the greatest out there , but I really do not want to spend an arm & a leg on upgrades; so if it is upgrades I need , what should I do at the very minimum?
Sorry about the 101 questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I need a little help. I am not too computer savy & do not have too much experience with computer games.I recently bought FSX & I am very dissapointed that it does not work so well on my computer. It constantly freezes up,frame rate is terrible & my whole computer seems to lag when this game is running. I figured I had a good enough computer to at least play this game at a decent rate. If anyone can help me configure my computer & or the game so it will work,would be a great help...This game looks like it has great potential & im willing to do whatever it takes to get good performance from it.
I just bought my computer last year & all ive done was upgraded the video card.
here are my computers specs:
HP pavillion a1340n
640 intel pent 4(hyper thread enabled)
1.0 gb memory
250gb hard drive
nividia geforce 7300 gs(256mb ddr2 will also support 512mb turbocache)
windows xp media edition (service pack 2)
my physical memory available to windows at this time is 1,047,916 kb
local disk free space is 178 gb
-------------------------------------------------
When I installed the video card I did not make any adjustments, nor have I changed any settings on the computer out of the box.
Does my computer just not have enough power? Do I need to configure,adjust, update or setup anything? should I upgrade anything in my computer(video card, hard drive etc....)? I know my video card is not the greatest out there , but I really do not want to spend an arm & a leg on upgrades; so if it is upgrades I need , what should I do at the very minimum?
Sorry about the 101 questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

To run that game at high visual settings without it being choppy or (laggy) you need a high end system with a high end video card along with about 2gb of ram...

Try to lower all of the video card settings to low and start from there.

The video card nvidia 7300gs is the main problem that is making it lag and you may have the video settings turned up to much. Make sure you dont have alot of stuff running in the background of your computer. Turn all the video settings down low like I said then turn the settings up little by little until you are satisfied.

You can also make sure you have the latest video card drivers from www.nvidia.com its good to have the latest but it wont fix your problem with the lag..

Edited by jrm20, 28 May 2007 - 10:36 AM.